Your Ad Could Be Here

Connecting My Midi To My Computer

How much delay would I get with the product link I posted above?

It's like Steve says, it's not the cable. That would have to get like over 30 meters to start adding noticeable return time delays. It's the crappy onboard.

Think anywhere between 15 and 50 milliseconds - enough to throw off any serious playing. If you sing into a mike and you hear yourself over the cups you will probably even begin to stutter, they used to do that in tv shows in the past for fun, just let someone hear his own voice with a delay, and off goes your timing.

With playing keyboard - same thing, really. Horror, and you thought you upgraded. That's why you sometimes have to take it one step further than the immediate problem, and invest your way out of the whole thing properly. I got me an Edirol FA-66 firewire external box for music, and use a Soundblaster for games. I *also* have an onboard - but that's turned off in the BIOS, so it can never get close to my stuff. Ever. :)

[edit for double word]

Edited by Roflcopter

Hmmm, my budget is kind of low right now so I'll have to get a firewire sometime soon, and play through the delay as best I can.

Have a look here. Any of these cards will be better than what you have! I've only recently upgraded my own soundcard from a soundblaster XFI. For starting out, they are perfect! When you get more proficient, then is the time to upgrade!

Have a look here. Any of these cards will be better than what you have! I've only recently upgraded my own soundcard from a soundblaster XFI. For starting out, they are perfect! When you get more proficient, then is the time to upgrade!

Thanks Steve and Roflcopter! [smiley=rockin.gif]

:punchit: So I bought the USB-to-MIDI interface, and I'm trying to install it, but now it says it maybe dangerous to install since "it has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP." What is this bullshit?! It says on the f*cking package that it is compatible with Windows XP! God dammit, I want to chuck this stupid piece of crap out the window!

:punchit: So I bought the USB-to-MIDI interface, and I'm trying to install it, but now it says it maybe dangerous to install since "it has not passed Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP." What is this bullshit?! It says on the f*cking package that it is compatible with Windows XP! God dammit, I want to chuck this stupid piece of crap out the window!

That warning means nothing, just tell it to continue. It's just XP whining that the drivers weren't designed with only it in mind.

But it's generally a good idea to check the company's website for updates (just google the company name, and when you've found their website look for "downloads" or "support" or something similar. Or just find a search box and look for +"your model" +driver.

That warning means nothing, just tell it to continue. It's just XP whining that the drivers weren't designed with only it in mind.

But it's generally a good idea to check the company's website for updates (just google the company name, and when you've found their website look for "downloads" or "support" or something similar. Or just find a search box and look for +"your model" +driver.

Thanks! I'm relieved! Phew! hahaha [smiley=rockin.gif]