Your Ad Could Be Here

Vocal Processing

Hey

A while back I considered buying a vocal channel strip, like Focusrite or Joe Meek. You know the kind specializing in vocals with features all tailored to getting the best vocal sound you can.

Is there a similar styled VST that someone can recommend? Free is even better. Obviously without the actual vocal strip you lose out on the benefits of a top notch pre-amp but hey.

Cheers

John

• 1 month later...
Hey

A while back I considered buying a vocal channel strip, like Focusrite or Joe Meek. You know the kind specializing in vocals with features all tailored to getting the best vocal sound you can.

Is there a similar styled VST that someone can recommend? Free is even better. Obviously without the actual vocal strip you lose out on the benefits of a top notch pre-amp but hey.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I mostly work on large format consoles, but occasionally track vocals on "location." When I do that, I don't use much processing, just a little protective limiting to eliminate "overs." I did a project recently for a live CD and chose a Microtech Gefell M711 as the vocal mic and went through my Millennia Media HV3D and a DBX limiter set on "polite." After I got back to the studio, I brought out the EQ and compression I wanted to use as Protools plugins. I like the Oxford EQ very much and a variety of compressors.

In short I would not buy a vocal channel strip for my own uses.

Hey Michael

Thanks for the reply. My main vocal mic is a Rode NT2, running through a soundcraft spirit 16 channel desk. Not exactly top of the range, but too bad. I used to work in studios many moons ago, mainly Amec Angela desks or similar and a range of pretty expensive microphones. I did use SSL a few times most experience in the 32 track domain.

I've struggled with the vocal sound somewhat (I have a few draft recordings on the Alternative song critique board) and wondered if I could improve it. The draft recordings really are that, really to give me the idea of the mix so if you do listen I hope you don't flinch too much! Don't worry I'm not expecting you to listen :)

So it's useful to hear your opinion.

Cheers

John

• 7 months later...

i dont think you can really have a VST that emulates the pre amp stage - if i have read that correctly. the whole point of the pre amp stage is to get the sound as good as possible from the source. I have a joe meek 3q which for the price is pretty nice - it has some good options on - comp and eq. Does colour the sound so use it depending on what you are after. My main pre is True Systems - this unit has changed my whole approach to vocals.What this unit does for my vocals is gives me exaclty what the mic sends out. Keeps it pure and the signal recording now is so close to the finished article its great!!

But if you are after vst plugins. I recommend the PSP audio mix pack 2.

http://www.pspaudioware.com/