Your Ad Could Be Here

Acoustic Vs. Electric Drum Kits.

tommy

Well, here's my story:

When I started drumming, I wasn't sure if I'd like it or quit, so I didn't want to invest in something super-expensive. So, my dad has a friend who's been drumming for 40 years and he loned me his electric kit for free. Well, over time, I didn't quit drumming, but wasn't pressured to return the kit. Te electric sensors started to die on the snare and hi-hat, so I replaced them with acoustic pieces and that is what I have now.

Over the course of time, I've played in differen't situations and always live on acoustic sets. Listening to stuff that I've played, and anyone who's heard my bands recording can understand, I'm gonna have to say acoustics are much better. Even though acoustics may be harder to transport, the sound quality of an acoustic is worth the extra effort. The electric just don't pick up well and fills and even beats don't sound that tight. This was brought to my attention when I was trying out lightly used sets the other dayy(I'm planning on buying one). My guitarist was with me and even he who never complains about my playing even when I insist something was not up to par said I sounded tighter.

Another thing I've noticed are some noob "recording studios" use electrics because you can pug them directly in instead of micing them up. Even though electrics sound a bit tighter when plugged in vs having the amp micced up, they still lack that realistic feel... It's not just the sae with the dynamics no matter how high-quality the set. Now remember I got my set for free, but electric sets aren't cheap and I haven't done any intense research, but a good electric set might cost just as much as a half-way-decent acoustic set and recording hardware for it.

The only positive I really find in electrics are the weird affects you can produce, but you could always set another ttrack and the actual drum track should be acoustic(this does not apply to electronica if you're actually using a drummer instead of keyboard). Oh and the feature I like on my electric is the trigger petal which can simulate some crazy double bass, but it really doesn't sound like it real and you can't control its speed or hits.

In the end, acoustic sets dominate electric sets. I know that a lot of people think this, but I THOUGHT I"D JUST SHARE MY STORY FOR THOSE WHO IMMEDIATELY ASSUME> I CAN"T WAIT TO GO GRAB my new acoustic set!

• 8 months later...