Your Ad Could Be Here

Recording Help Please

• Noob

Okay, here's the deal, i'm on a very limited budget but have some descent mics to work with. Here's my arsenal:

3 Sm57s

2 St31s

2 Pg58s

2 Pg48s

1 Nt-1

I use a Pre-Sonus Box so i have 8 inputs. I have 2 marshall half stacks, a behringer bass half stack, and a 7-piece drum set. I'm looking to do a live recording. I was thinking 2 Sm57s on the marshalls, Nt-1 on the Bass, Sm57 on the snare, 2 St31s as overhead, and i Pg58 on Kick. The only thing I was really confused about is what to do about the bass half-stack and kick drum. I know that the Pg58 and Nt-1 are the two mics remaining from the drums and guitars that I want to use, I just don't know which to use for which. Anyone who has any experience in recording, please send me some info.

Thanks

questions first:

1. two guitar stacks? Are they different players?
  2. What kind of bass sound are you looking for?
  3. What kind of Bass head unit? Does it have a DI option?
  4. When you say "live recording", what exactly do you mean? A show or live studio style stuff.

First off I hope our Mic expert DC2Daylight will offer opinions here.

As a former DI h8r I hate to call it my "go to", more of a stabilizing back up option. The marshalls should have DI outs too, they are biased and sound awesome.

I would consider swapping out one of the 57's on the guitars with the PG58 and use the 57 on the bass cabinet.

• Noob

i may be new here, but i saw this and noticed you were recording a bass with this setup. i'm a bassist and for me, i don't play through a rig for recording(partly because i can't afford one. haha.) i've had a few instances where i used a rig for monitoring in a studio, but most times i have just a decent DI and gone from there. like nightwolf asked, does the bass head have a DI option? again, it all goes back to what type of sound you are looking for. just for me, i'm a warm and rounded sort of tone guy and i find that DI's usually give me that on the bass side of things, so i usually go with that.

hope this helps and happy recording!!

i may be new here, but i saw this and noticed you were recording a bass with this setup. i'm a bassist and for me, i don't play through a rig for recording(partly because i can't afford one. haha.) i've had a few instances where i used a rig for monitoring in a studio, but most times i have just a decent DI and gone from there. like nightwolf asked, does the bass head have a DI option? again, it all goes back to what type of sound you are looking for. just for me, i'm a warm and rounded sort of tone guy and i find that DI's usually give me that on the bass side of things, so i usually go with that.

hope this helps and happy recording!!

You may bee new, but you agree with me,...and that goes a long way in my book [smiley=bounce.gif]

Okay, here's the deal, i'm on a very limited budget but have some descent mics to work with. Here's my arsenal:

3 Sm57s

2 St31s

2 Pg58s

2 Pg48s

1 Nt-1

I use a Pre-Sonus Box so i have 8 inputs. I have 2 marshall half stacks, a behringer bass half stack, and a 7-piece drum set. I'm looking to do a live recording. I was thinking 2 Sm57s on the marshalls, Nt-1 on the Bass, Sm57 on the snare, 2 St31s as overhead, and i Pg58 on Kick. The only thing I was really confused about is what to do about the bass half-stack and kick drum. I know that the Pg58 and Nt-1 are the two mics remaining from the drums and guitars that I want to use, I just don't know which to use for which. Anyone who has any experience in recording, please send me some info.

Thanks

I would go with a DI for the bass for a number of reasons. The NT-1 would likely overkill for the kick, plus it could likely distort with the high SPL from the kick. The pg58 may take a little placement tweaking so that you get enough bottom since there is a steep rolloff below 200 HZ. The kick should have a lot of energy around 40 Hz, +/- depending on size and damping. Putting the mic fairly close to the batter head, inside the drum should use proximity to good effect and still retain the natural upper midrange emphasis of the mic response curve.