Your Ad Could Be Here

Unfortunate Man From Peru & Gluttenous Man From Mac

Mazrocon

Hey guys,

I'm experimenting with a new kind of poetry that I think is quite interesting. It's called a limerick, a short witty/humurous poem. It has a very strict form structure. It has 5 lines and the first, second and last line rhyme aswell as the 3rd and 4th lines rhyme. If by the end of the read you laughed then it is considered a "good limerick". No matter what the subject, how bizare or how rude they may be.

~Unfortunate Man From Peru~

There once was a man from Peru

Who had these terrible holey old shoes

When he went to get 'em shined

As the clerk gave him him the fine

Said he "Oh my not my pockets too!"

~Gluttenous Man From Mac~

There once was a man from Mac

Who was loving but oh so fat

When he ate so much

That he fell off his crutch

He found that his food didn't love back

~TIMOTHY~

Sorry Tim - I think that example is a classic in a folk-genre which absolutely demands obscenity to be authentic.

The limerick packs laughs anatomical

In space that is quite economical,

But the good ones I've seen

So seldom are clean,

And the clean ones so seldom are comical.

I always enjoy your enthusiasm but, tell me, what do you mean when you call the limerick 'a new kind of poetry' ?

The tradition is hundreds of years old.

What's so new with that ?

Edward Lear was the prime populariser, I guess. Although, if you were to read a collection of his nonsense, I'm sure you would soon tire of the relative innocuous 'tame-ness' of his limericks. It robs them of entertainment value. They don't fully come into their own until they get low-down crude and dirty while keeping some style of cleverness fully intact. That's my opinion, for sure. But it's one seems universally shared by all scholars and historians of the form.

While Titian was mixing rose madder

His model posed nude on a ladder

The position - to Titian

Suggested coition

So he ran up the ladder and 'ad 'er !!

('Rose madder' is a colour made from the crushed root of Rubia tinctorium in a recipe dating back to the rose-pink textile dyes of ancient Egypt.)

Maybe it's about time you

Discovered the 'Clerihew'

Which has also been new for some quite considerable time

And is most widely known for the comical tone lent by a complete abandonment of any reference to normally accepted ideas of syllabic meter to thus postpone the eventual arrival of a welcome rhyme

But - I will elect -

Purely for the sake of humorous effect.

Sorry, I meant "new to me". A new kind of poetry that i'm working on, that I haven't done before. I have heard of edward lear (surprisingly) and I know what you mean that it could get tireing. But I couldn't bring myself to write something dirty or crude. Whether it made people laugh or not i'd feel uncomfortable writing it...

Call me a goodie two shoe but that's not the kind of stuff I write. Mild crudity I think is okay but that's as far as i'll go.

~TIMOTHY~