Your Ad Could Be Here

The Plauge

I thought I had a spyware problem, and maybe I do. I cannot download e-mail, or set the default webpage for logging on to etc etc etc.

I didnt think I had a virus. Benign & MAilwasher look after my e-mail. Agitum Firewall & Tauscan look after the rest. Tauscan has been reminding me lately that I need to re-subscribe (about $25) to continue to qualify for updates etc. I tried to pay it, but the PC is in such a sorry state that the transaction failed.

One of my problems, Steve had too. He fixed it with AVG, a virus killer. I just barely managed to download it before hanging the m/c again. It didnt merely find a virus. It found a plague of 25 viruses (viri?)! I am gobsmacked. I know all my problems are not over. I can tell by the way the PC behaves that all is still not well.

Oddly enough the common problem that Steve & I had is still not fixed on my m/c but is on his. The full format will still have to go ahead.

I hope I never knowingly meet a virus writer.  >:(

Rude!

I've just completed a search for the 2 you mentioned,

nprotect is a Norton logfile and is supurflous if you dont use Norton anti virus. I could find nothing about Jet4E26.tmp. Why not save it to a floppy then try to delete it and see what happens?

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I get a thing called c:searchpage which keeps attaching itself as my IE homepage and won't let me reset.

I've tried deleting files but of course, being a klutz, have accidentally deleted 2 programme files. Can I selectively reload these from my Windows XP disk or do I have to completely reinstall XP? Is there any way of downloading them from elsewhere?

Nige, you seem to know a lot about this, how can I clean up unwanted stuff like this?

Alistair

steves right al try system restore..

your browser has been"highjacked " by the search engine you can get rid of it ur self by going to regedit

and removing it but for best messure run "bazooka" as it gives you step by step removal for you u  just let it scan ur pc and it lists the items for you click on one and instructions are desplayed  also i would recomend a free spyware removal like "ad-aware" all from

www.download.com whilst im here check this out

http://www.download.com/spyware-center/200...001-2023-0.html

i also use "win patrol" its a really small program and free

it notifies you of any change and lets u accept or decline them before they happen such as a browser hi-jack

also on download .com

cheers

nigel

Aaaaaaaaaaagh!

Have read the last two threads with interest and went to the URL suggested. Downloaded a prog called Spy Sweeper. After running it informed that I had over 40 instances of spyware. After removing all the pop ups stopped.

On another note I was recently infected with the Sasser virus. Got the download from Microsoft and purchased Norton anti virus. The thing is the computer will not log onto any Symantec page so I can neither register or update the program. Any ideas?

Aaaaaaaaaaagh!

Have read the last two threads with interest and went to the URL suggested. Downloaded a prog called Spy Sweeper. After running it informed that I had over 40 instances of spyware. After removing all the pop ups stopped.

On another note I was recently infected with the Sasser virus. Got the download from Microsoft and purchased Norton anti virus. The thing is the computer will not log onto any Symantec page so I can neither register or update the program. Any ideas?

hi davlan

you may not have removed the virus as there are two forms of them.. try this free tool

http://www.download.com/Sasser-A-and-Sasse...tml?tag=lst-0-2

let us know how u get on

peace

nigel

Hey Dave

What happens when you try to access the symantec pages?

Here's a few ideas:

Try deleting all your offline content. You could also try checking your cookies and deleting any symantec ones.

try updating your system with windows update.

try uninstalling Norton, then try and access the symantec pages. Look in their help files.

email symantec support

Cheers

John

There has been loads in the press regarding spyware over the last week. But none of it is as helpful as Nige's posts!

Thanks for the tips Nige. I have now deleted 33 instances of spyware from my PC - although the limpet-like homepage for IE is proving tricky to shift.

Alistair

rudi

also if you can look out for a small program

"bazooka" its free and seeks out browser hijackers these buggers change your homepage and search engines

peace

nigel

I found it and used it, and yes it found a collection of these things. But! the instructions for removal dont work. ie: the files it identifies dont seem to exist anywhere on my PC, so I cant remove or rename them as instructed.

The other progs that fix these bugs run a bit expensive, so I am still looking.

Yes, I have been a bit underwhelmed by the free software. It's good at finding the stuff, but not so good at getting rid of it. Bazooka is a case in point. Trouble is, I'm a bit of a dork when it comes to messing around with programme files.

I suspect we have to pay for the good stuff. Secretly the industry probably encourages spyware, so they can make money from selling the fixes!