Your Ad Could Be Here

CD-Rs Data vs. Music

Hi gang,

I know I asked this question somewhere before and I certainly hope it wasn't here.

Anyway, I've always wanted to know, what the heck is the difference between a "data cd-r" and a "music cd-r"? Several companies lable their cd bundles with one or the other. I see that the data are usually cheaper to purchase. What I don't understand is, they both just store digital information so why not just buy the cheaper data cd-rs and record music on those?

As of yet I haven't done that, but is there any reason I shouldn't?

Tom

Hey

Ok, data CDs and music CDs are different in several ways. Apart from the data format there is a difference between the data density on the disc surface.

For some background info:

http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/k...audio2/95x7.htm

http://www.ee.washington.edu/conselec/CE/k.../cdrom/95x8.htm

The second one describes most of the data diffrences in detail.

I also found these comments on other boards:

"there is no quality difference between audio-CDRs and data-CDRs; however, if you have a standalone CD player/recorder, you may need to buy audio-CDRs because it checks for some coding on the CDR. (There's a way to trick it using a data CDR anyway.) The audio-CDR label is just more expensive because of the royalties being paid to the RIAA."

and

"audio have reduced playback margin, less jitter and play on standalone's better as that's what they're designed to do. Data cds as mentioned manuf slightly different for that reason. Good audio media will always sound better than others not spec designed for audio all other fctors being equal imho"

Both have points. But the second one reveals what I think is the reason. If you read the articles on data format you will see that data cds use two levels of error detection and therefor correction. This generally means that they can afford to have slightly more read errors. The data density and packaging is different too. Audio uses an iinterleaving process and has a different amount of data in each packet.

Add to this a CD has to produce a constant throughput of data otherwise an audilble click can be heard. On a data CD there isn't normally the same demand for constant throughput. All in this means that there is less time for repeated data reads.

To combat this audio CDs are made to a higher standard. They tend to be slightly thicker and more opaque, and light does not shine through them as easily (therefor less read errors). Add to that less data write errors, and of course the RIAA code.

Is this enough, or should I go on?

;D

Whatcha mean you fell asleep?

Cheers

John

Hey Dave

Well it depends on if you're on your own at the time... :o;);D

Seriously though  ;) bottling up all that latent sexual tension will affect your songwriting! A driving beat and climaxing string sweeps are a dead give away... ;D

Cheers

John

I heard that a Bose representative said that he never uses copied CDs to test their high-end speakers. Perhaps both the quality of sound of those speakers and his trained ear makes a difference. It's subtle, but I'm sure anyone can perceive it given he knows what to listen (or not listen) for, like mp3.

Hey Dave

Well it depends on if you're on your own at the time... :o;);D

Seriously though  ;) bottling up all that latent sexual tension will affect your songwriting! A driving beat and climaxing string sweeps are a dead give away... ;D

Cheers

John

Freud said that creativity is the sublimation of the libido.

I guess next time I'll just reply with a couple of words... :-X

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Hi John,

On the contrary, I really appreciated your detailed answer. I've long been wondering myself why cheap audio CDs worked better for me than high end data CD-Rs, I have now the answer.

First, only audio CDs work reliably on my CDWR-5000 Tascam audio burner.

Secondly, only audio CDs work on my old Akai Hi-fi.

Thanks for the information you provided.

Didier

I appreciated it too Johny Boy.  ;)

Am feeling overwhelmed with technical info. I'm half way through reading Mastering Audio: The Science and the Art by Bob Katz. I never realised how much I don't know about sound. It can all get so hideously complicated!

Best