Your Ad Could Be Here

Repairers/luthiers

Hi all

I was just wondering whom (if at all) you've used in the past to repair gear.

I'm sure there are loads of guys (&girls) up and down the country who provide great service and value for money.

Personally I have used the following:

Flynn Amps - part of CC Music, Otago Lane, Glasgow. I took my Hartke Amphead here when there was some crackling from the volume pot. Capacitor replaced, general dusting inside and clean up of potentiometers and it sounded lovely when I got it back. Dead nice guys to deal with and took it off me at short notice too. £70

I hear the girls in Glasgow at Merchant City Music are really good at setups. Anyone any experience?

Moon guitars - Pollockshaws. I took my old Yamaha BBN5 bass here to get the nut replaced several years ago. Jimmy did a great job and from what I remember it didnt cost the earth either. :-)

Graeme

Hey

I used Jimmy Moon for a couple of jobs, one a long time ago... at a gig the neck on an acoustic mysteriously snapped up at the body. Jimmy repaired it and made it look as good as new... unfortunately it went again and another luthier repaired it at half the cost and some 15 years later it is still going. The other job Jimmy did was to try and eliminate fret buzz on my Martin acoustic. That had some limited success.

Good topic as my main electric needs an overhaul.... although I think it mainly needs an overhaul to become a strat or a Gibson SG ;) (very different guitars it is true but I like them both :) )

Yes i realize that they are not bass guitars, but repair is repair. I don't know any luthiers that just specialize in basses...

Cheers

John

• 2 years later...