Your Ad Could Be Here

Advice Sought - Eqing For Brighter Drum Presence

Hi All ~

1st experience recording a band (actually 3rd go but like PLANNING and thinking this time. Multi-tiered process to

hopefully get it right or respectable) :) But w/ that 2+ yr break since the 4-track was up I don't recall if/how I compensated

for losing generation of drum sound. They're too buried.

Next time I must play w/ more authority/presence, that will help (w/out overloading levels tho).

I pulled out John's instruc. from a thread YEARS ago and tweaked it (t/y Mon Capitaine!!)

4 Tracks only available -- no offense but telling me to get a higher-track unit doesn't help (tho a prayer might)

1. Two mics for drums (tracks 1 & 2), two mics for guitars (tracks 3 & 4)

2. Pan 1 & 3 L --- Pan 2 & 4 R ---Record L busses to Track 1 and R busses to Track 2.

3. SFSG (so far so good) separation present, levels good.

--- The Bounce ----

4. Bass Track 3 -- Keys Track 4

5. Playback 1 & 2 while recording Bass & Keys to 3 and 4 --AND-- collapsing Tracks 1 & 2, onto tracks 3 & 4

a) Track 3 ---

-drums

-acoustic

-bass

B) Track 4 ---

-drums

-electric

-keys

Yes, NOW I see that bass would more properly be w/ electric vs acoustic...and yet that keyboard used is way bright for

my liking + I'm concerned w/ an overly processed sound potential w/ the distortion FX of guitar (required for the

song in question) and a "fuzziness" I couldn't get rid of in bass sound (went direct).

Drum mics: one overhead - but maybe not overhead (or high) enough? Just an instinct wondering at

that...more ambiance, more room for sizzle? I do most of this by instinct I think -- lol! One in the kick drum.

I've learned that when no mic for the kick, forget it, might as well play tinker toy set.

This result of 5 a) and B) is the issue and I'm certain can be improved whether engineering stage (most likely) or

mixdown. I am fiddling w/ mix btw (eg boosting brighter track 1 around 6K).

Sorry! Thinking out loud....I think this is the way I need to try it again:

1. so that ultimately Track 3

- drumSET

- record keys before guitar and bury it's brightness somewhat -- the bounce'll also muddy it

- (1st generation) acoustic

2. ultimately Track 4

- kick (+ ambient set leakage)

- electric to be buried

- (1st generation) bass

That way there shouldn't be a possible phase cancellation either (kick and bass will be once removed

therefore separately eq-ed, not eq-ed together for bounce).

Tracks 1 & 2 free for vox.

PS -- I know the other issue/why I'm also flummoxed!

The toms are cutting thru way too well. Yes...so the brightness of esp.

hi-hat gone, but toms CUTTING thru (and yes I muffled but not 80's style).

Overhead placement musing --- say you're not behind thee kit, but standing in front

of it, looking back twd the drum throne -- what do you think, placing mic stand

in front of kick, or maybe between it and floor tom, high and pointing down but

kinda diagonal more toward high-hat, not in middle where racks toms are?

Edited by Donna

.....tough one! If you had 3 channels & mics, I'd tell you to go with 2 crossed overheads & the 3rd inside of the bass drum.

With just 2, I think I might go with one overhead & the 2nd either partially or totally inside the bass drum.

Totally will get you better segregation & punch, but depending on where you decide to put the overhead......if you end up needing more presence from the high toms -partially might get you some of that + what you need from the kick. In the end, you know it's gonna come down to trial & error....get what you can get! Good luck with it!

Tom

Thanks Tom -- woo hoo batter steps up to the plate.

Yes, the mic is always inside the kick - in fact I had to kinda nestle it inside the various wrappings

(heh - what IS in there? - flannel sheets or what-not), too hot otherwise. I think the toms will cut

thru w/ the new o'head placement I'm thinking on. You're right, trial & error. I appreciate the con-

firmation and your support. ♫

How many microphones do you have Donna?

How many microphones do you have Donna?

Four. For this situation, example if I was doing guitars, two would go to mic each amp, then two for drums (one o'hd, one inside the kick).

Edited by Donna

Four. For this situation, example if I was doing guitars, two would go to mic each amp, then two for drums (one o'hd, one inside the kick).

Ah, are you doing this recording live? I was thinking of a way of multitracking using an external device for bouncing...