Your Ad Could Be Here

Recording Electric Guitar?

Well I just bought a new electric guitar and today I tried to record something and it sounded terrible. Just terrible. the sound was really ... just... bland. boring. flat. no treble at all. No crisp. Just plain blaaaaah. Even when I hit my distortion pedal. Still.. blaaaah.

I was going from the Tape Out on my PA head into the input jack on my computer, recording it with CoolEdit. Sounded awful. Just... yeah you get the point. What's the best way to record an electric guitar? ???

Well I just bought a new electric guitar and today I tried to record something and it sounded terrible. Just terrible. the sound was really ... just... bland. boring. flat. no treble at all. No crisp. Just plain blaaaaah. Even when I hit my distortion pedal. Still.. blaaaah.

I was going from the Tape Out on my PA head into the input jack on my computer, recording it with CoolEdit. Sounded awful. Just... yeah you get the point. What's the best way to record an electric guitar? ???

Mic in front of an amp is the time tested "best" way. The way you tried is probably the worst way. If you're trying to keep the noise down you'd be better off just plugging the output of the guitar or pedal directly into the computer and using a software amp sim to get your tone. Better still, drop a couple of bucks on a passive direct box and plug the output of that into the computer.

Hmm.... running my guitar straight into the PA is my only option now. Just bought the guitar and can't afford an amp, so I just run it through my PA and use effects pedals. It sounds pretty darn good from the speakers, but when I tried to record through the tape out, it was really gross. I thought of putting a mic in front of the speaker, but figured that wouldn't work that it would just be too loud and cause major clipping issues. I've never heard of a software amp sim. I am might have to look that up for more info. Definitely on a budget though. I just spent $400 on the guitar (A used RG4EX1 with hardshell case) and a few accessories. Picks, strap, strings, cheap distortion pedal and stuff. On a min wage income, that really burned a hole in my pocket.

I'll have to research the preamps and x3.... not sure what they are. This is my first electric guitar, so I'm still learning the ropes of setting it up. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

amp sim wise take a look at amplitube 3, I just did a review...

AmpliTube 3

A guitar amp would make a difference. The tape outs on your PA should give you a decent sound, but I guess it depends on how old your system is and what type of tape outs we are talking as some systems apply the RIAA EQ compensation curve that really spawned from the mechanical issues with vinyl... I digress... lol

Recording an amp you would usually use a mic... the choice of mic is the important part, really so you don't get mechanical clipping due to mechanical limitations of the mic diaphragm, and you can avoid record level clipping by turning down the trim.

Even an old SM58 would do the trick... all though it's top end response isn't fantastic... it will still give you a better sound than DI guitar...

• 2 weeks later...

Anything cheaper than a $500-$600 x3 live or gt pro? Maybe, say 50 bucks? for $500 I could buy an amp

I have a sm58, though I don't know much about mics yet. what to you mean by "top end"? are you referring to the highs/treble?

Edited by Gemini9