Your Ad Could Be Here

Going Crazy...can't Find Process For This

allinternet

• Noob

Situation: I am the sole writer of 12 songs which I will publish myself and record (perform) on my own record label (as yet unnamed). I am an ASCAP songwriter, but not a publisher member (yet).

Question 1: If I first copyright the unpublished 12 songs individually as a songwriter using Form PA, do I then need to "form" a publishing company and assign or transfer the copyrights to my own publishing company using Form CA? Or is there any legal difference (so far as copyrights are concerned) if the songwriter is also the publisher?

Question 2: If another artist wants to "cover" one of my songs, do I need to become a publishing company in order to give permission and go through the Harry Fox Agency for mechanical rights contracts? Or can I do that as the songwriter (without having to form a publishing company)?

Anybody who has walked through these steps and has some guidance...your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom.

It is a good bet that you'll never get authoritative info from the internet.

Have you never thought of 'phoning ASCAP and having a chat about all this ?

They will know the answers.

And you're a member.

Simple.

Good luck.

• Noob

Thanks for the ASCAP suggestion:

I did try that a couple of times, but I think I was asking the wrong questions. I thought I had to be a publisher to collect publishing royalties off my own songs, and so was asking them how to become a publisher member. It was very confusing, since you need to publish something first before you apply (they said that could even be a guitar/vocal on MySpace).

What I've later read, and also what someone mentioned on this board, is you don't have to be a publisher with ASCAP (just a writer) to have them send you both the writer and publisher royalties...sounds much easier. :)

Thanks for the help,

Tom

Thanks for the ASCAP suggestion:

I did try that a couple of times, but I think I was asking the wrong questions. I thought I had to be a publisher to collect publishing royalties off my own songs, and so was asking them how to become a publisher member. It was very confusing, since you need to publish something first before you apply (they said that could even be a guitar/vocal on MySpace).

What I've later read, and also what someone mentioned on this board, is you don't have to be a publisher with ASCAP (just a writer) to have them send you both the writer and publisher royalties...sounds much easier. :)

Thanks for the help,

Tom

If you are not signed to a publishing company then you are entitled to 100% of the royalties. Publishing royalties are only relevant if you have a publishing contract. It's true that if you are unsigned then you are technically your own publisher, but you don't have to do anything to make that happen. Since you are registered with ASCAP they can track you down to pay you the royalties as long as your songs are copyrighted.

Edited by thepopeofpop

• Noob

If you are not signed to a publishing company then you are entitled to 100% of the royalties. Publishing royalties are only relevant if you have a publishing contract. It's true that if you are unsigned then you are technically your own publisher, but you don't have to do anything to make that happen. Since you are registered with ASCAP they can track you down to pay you the royalties as long as your songs are copyrighted.

Thank you for confirming that, Paul. Takes a load off. :)

Tom