Your Ad Could Be Here

Coises n Lazz's MP3 issue

I can't get your MP3s to play on your site.

And I wanna hear.

What happens when you try?

Are you seeing an embedded player to the right of the lyrics? If so, but you can’t get it to play, does it give you any information if you right-click it and select “Error Details”?

Are you getting a notification (like the yellow bar that comes up above the page in Internet Explorer) asking you to allow the Windows Media Player plug-in to run on the web site?

If all else fails, each of the song pages that has a player also has a “Download this song” link; you can right-click that, save the file, and then play it, or copy the link target and open it from an Internet-capable media player. Someone else recently told me she couldn’t get my songs to play, but we don’t yet know why. (Downloading did work for her.)

If you would, let me know what, if anything, you are seeing (besides nothing), and what, if anything, does work. Thanks.

What happens when you try?

Absolutely nothing.

Are you seeing an embedded player to the right of the lyrics?

Yes

does it give you any information

"Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted."

Are you getting a notification

None whatsoever

player also has a “Download this song” link

Yes - I can see that, but wished the luxury of hearing first before downloading

Downloading did work for her.

And I'm sure it will work for me.

Hope that helps.

If you have the patience to help me figure this out... what happens if you click directly on this link?

http://www.coises.com/songs/clown.m3u

A little bit of weirdness happens.

I'm using Google Chrome and what happens is that another tab makes its presence known very briefly, in a flash, and is gone.

Leaving me back here again reading your post.

Do you want me to split off the mp3 issue related posts into a new topic? (helps keep this topic on topic!)

just to add some comment on the mp3 issue... the link works fine for me coises.

Do you have a default mp3 player set up Lazz? Clicking on an m3u file should prompt the download of that file, and in some systems that does quickly flash up a blank page (IE is the same). After that, often, the fact you downloaded an m3u file should launch your default m3u player (m3u being an mp3 playlist). At the very least the m3u file should be downloaded to your system (try your downloads folder, although it could also be in your temporary internet files).

if you can find and open the m3u file in notepad or similar it should give you the link to the mp3 file directly. opening the m3u file with your mp3 player should download the mp3 file to your system.

If the m3u file shows as a standard document is on then there probably is no default player set up hence the m3u file downloads and nothing happens.

Do you have Quicktime installed?

One other thought was, depending on firewall setting and depending on where you connect from (like a work network) mp3 files might be being blocked... that way web page players wouldn't work also. Similarly internet settings for flash applications and javascript could interfere.

Hope this helps

Cheers

John

Do you want me to split off the mp3 issue related posts into a new topic? (helps keep this topic on topic!)

Thanks John.

And apologies to everyone for getting parenthetical and off-topic.

Normal service will resume....

I do have Quicktime installed - amongst others.

Each of the pushy little bleeders regular requests preferential default status.

But I say no no no.

At the very least the m3u file should be downloaded to your system

That's clever.

How did you do that ?

I hope there might be a more graceful solution somehow because what the punter wants is just to click the mouse and have it work.

Instant gratification with no interfering complication.

With your own tracks, John, I recall that they not only played but sneakily downloaded themselves automatically to do so.

Now both of you have insinuated yourselves onto my hard drive.

How impertinent !

We should be getting Coises to put the site-link in his signature.

John,

Thanks for cleaning up after us.

Lazz,

What happens when you click this link?

http://www.coises.com/recordings

The expected result is that you should see a list of mp3 files (and one folder).

If you get that, what happens when you click on one of the mp3 files?

The expected result depends on your system setup; it could open a player within your browser, it could download the whole file and then open an external player, or it could cause your browser to ask whether to open or save the file.

You said you are using Google Chrome. I installed that and tried it, and my pages with the embedded player worked as expected. The m3u link flashed a new tab, as you described, but then put a little box at the bottom showing that it had downloaded the m3u file; clicking on that box launched Windows Media Player, which played the song. So I don’t think Chrome is the reason. Did you get the box at the bottom and the downloaded m3u file?

What operating system are you running, and what is your default media player for mp3 files and for m3u playlists?

What happens when you click this link?

http://www.coises.com/recordings

The expected result is that you should see a list of mp3 files (and one folder).

Yes - worked as you predicted.

If you get that, what happens when you click on one of the mp3 files?
It opens the player

Did you get the box at the bottom and the downloaded m3u file?
I didn't notice any box.

Downloading via Google Chrome before has always prompted a large animated arrow pointing down to the bottom at the left side of my screen nudging my attention towards the clickable button through which one can "manage" the file - and I guess that must be this 'box' we're looking for.

But, in our case, that didn't happen

I couldn't have missed it.

Mind you - neither would I have expected it.

Because I had not chosen to download.

I had chosen "play".

And yet it had downloaded.

Had downloaded several of the blighters in fact.

One for each time I'd clicked on the player in frustrated attempts to get it to do what it said on the box.

What operating system are you running, and what is your default media player for mp3 files and for m3u playlists?
Windows XP

I have elected no default player.

Which player is that? Windows Media Player?
Can't find a way of answering.

Doesn't look like anything to do with me.

Google Chrome is still running and showing your address while the track plays.

I imagined the player was something to do with you.

Is that possible ?

Which Windows XP

Professional version 2002

does it say is the player, and what version number?
Windows Media Player version 11.0.5721.5268

• 3 weeks later...