Your Ad Could Be Here

Look'n For Answers Getting Nothing But More Questions

soundsailer

this is my first contact with alien creatures ( other song writers ) " I come in Peace "........

I'm in my 50's, still got my longhair & ear ring and still think we need a cultural revolution in this world to free the people from the fascist take over....

I'm still writing songs about that and a lot of other things, have been since the 70's.

But I told myself years ago that I wasn't going to be another starving artist so in my mid 20's I started fix'n up old houses and just kept do'n it until I ended

up in a little farmhouse on 20 acres in the Cascade Mountains of Washington . I've got a home studio in my barns old milkhouse I call " the milkhouse studio ", what else....

Anyway I've got well over a 100 songs and I'm writing as much or more now then ever.

I'm just about ready ( been say'n that for awhile now ) to get my material sent in for copywriting.

I think I've got a handle on how to do it from this article

http://www.musicbizacademy.com/internet/how2copyright.htm

my style is ALL over the chart, broadway stage tunes, country, folk, rock, pop, childrens, etc...

Some of my songs are just perfect for a particular artist, wonder how feasible is it submit to individual artists?.

I've written batches of songs in what I call styles; Neil Young Style, Stones Style, etc.

I do ALL the vocals and instrumentals, mixing and recording.

The recordings are pretty clean, with multi harmony backround vocals, a lot better then the old 4 track days when I started ( I've still got my 4 track and all the original tapes, some 30 years old.... )

Why do I do it ??? WHY !!!! I do it because I JUST CAN'T STOP.................

After I copy write my tunes I have NO IDEA what to do next?????

I'm also heavy into digital graphic arts and do a lot of still photography and do large format printing, I also started working on doing short 1 minute youtube style video's using a D550 DSLR, 12' boom, a few good lenses, green screen, after effects, etc.

But I don't know if I should just start posting my songs on youtube, or setup a website with all my songs, or start submitting them to places like weshopsongs and songlink or all of the above ??

I doubt anyone got this far in this post but if you did thanks for taking the time to get to know a little about another songwriter up in the mountains, do'n his

thing in the old milkhouse and please feel free to drop me a line and say hi or offer a suggestion......... Later

Hey soundsailor....welcome to the site! :thumb23:

As far as advice, the first thing that occurs to me is.........why can't you try a bit of all of it? After all, you've waited 30 years to try any of it....so it's not like you've got to see results immediately, do you? Take care of the copyrights, then try a little of this & a little of that, keep good notes on what exactly you've already done & for whom. Once you begin to get a feel for what you find rewarding/validating, what seems to give you results & what doesn't.....then you can begin prioritizing a bit and spend more time & effort on the avenues that seem most promising. In other words....trial & error, like most of life-LOL Get a feel for what works best, then try to duplicate it. Hope this helps a little.

Enjoy the site!

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thanks for the reply, words of wisdom for sure, I look forward to checking out your site.

Hey Welcome to Songstuff :)

Thanks John,

I like your philosophy,

when we first got our farm about 15 years ago before I got my studio setup in the milkhouse I had a old upright piano in the barn and one of the songs I came up with during that time is called " I don't smile enough ". We had a chicken that would actually jump up on the bench and just sit there while I played.... Dam I miss that chicken.....