Your Ad Could Be Here

Home Or Away.....

Hi All,

Just getting back in to recording and production after a long time away (cassette, record bounce bla bla bla and atari ST.... no HD just floppy drive with cubase)yip long time ago..., NOW.... I recently purchased a keyboard with two mic pre's... these were ok but not good enough so moved to presonus with 8 mic pre's ...still not enough! I have been using a yamaha 01v96 live for some time so thought I would go with the whole digital thing so purchased a tascam DM-4800 (after much deliberation)..... yeah, total headache.... but hey, I'm a grafter and got round it... ...freaking awesome (IMHO) I am now looking to build a live room to go with all my new toys ... all digital... VB-99 & GUS custom bass with 13 pin access... this really has all basses covered! VG-99 & Godin with 13 pin access.... all classic guitars covered... and more! 2 x roland kits V12 & V20 with logic9 and more plug ins you could shake a stick at with regards to effects and samplers So .... question is... Is there a real need for a studio in traditional terms (live room & control room) or is the bedroom really big enough in this modern world? I obv don't really mean bedroom but sure you get my drift ( the two roland kits together take up almost as much room as I do (oh forgot to say .....I'm a bass player!!!!)

G

pea soup!

• 1 month later...

Totally depends on what you are shooting for.

I record a lot of demo stuff using my laptop, Logic 9 and an audio interface (mine is a Saffire Pro 24--cheap but does the job). I use EZ Drummer and Superior Drummer for my beats, and all the great MIDI loops that Logic offers. I play all the guitar parts, bass parts, do all the vocals myself, and engineer it too; it is pretty easy just sitting next to my laptop and hitting record. Works great and sounds awesome, if your purpose is fleshing out song arrangements, bringing ideas to a band, etc.

That having been said, I would never use my setup to record something I actually wanted to release to the public. For that I still go to a real studio with a real interface, real pre's, real mics and all that other good stuff. There is definitely a place for a proper recording studio in the modern world. Plus I find it easier to play my parts if I don't have to worry about working all the knobs too.

So, long answer short, it depends on what your goals are. Maybe you can give a little bit more info and people could help you further?