Your Ad Could Be Here

Writers Block

I'm stuck! In fact I'm having a hard enough time writing this. As I said in another post I am a singer without a band. I love to sing and would love to join a band, sadly when I look for bands it seems like all they want is a singer/song writer and understandably so. So after about 10 years of not writing I'm trying again. Only now I realize I have no idea of where to start.

I'm stuck! In fact I'm having a hard enough time writing this. As I said in another post I am a singer without a band. I love to sing and would love to join a band, sadly when I look for bands it seems like all they want is a singer/song writer and understandably so. So after about 10 years of not writing I'm trying again. Only now I realize I have no idea of where to start.

Just some thoughts from me.

We are all creative in different ways, but I find that the blank page is a difficult place to start from. It's a good idea to make some notes as you go through the week of potential song titles, lyrical ideas and so on. Also, any ideas you have for tunes record them on your phone as they come to you, however short.

Then, when you have a few days/ weeks worth of ideas sit down somewhere quiet and go through all of your ideas- you will probably find that several of them mesh together unexpectedly and spark your imagination.

When you have started don't stop until it's finished, no matter how bad you think it is, as completing it will open up more creativity.

I like to do things fast, so often set myself a time limit (or have life set it for me) for writing. If you cant think of an idea even then, let someone else give you some help. There is a songwriting challenge on this site, also google FAWM where and Kristal User Forum. Both of these sites set monthly challenges which will inspire and challenge you.

Most importantly, don't seek perfection. Sometimes quantity is more important than quality. Sift through and keep the good stuff, but don't be embarressed about the stuff that you don't like. All artists create far more stuff than they use, and experimentation and enjoyment are really what it's all about, especially as an amateur.

Good luck - would love to see what you come up with.

Let us know how you get on.

Something else that has come to mind since is collaboration. Lots of people here seem to be keen to do it, and there's nothing like abit of peer pressure to drive the creative process. I have worked with a number of people from other forums and the end product is always better for additional input.

Post your first song.

Would also add that I like to work on collaborations if you wish to take that route.

Best wishes - may your block be cleared quickly!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I'm saying something similar to the other replies in this thread but sometimes writing a song is asking too much because the feelings are too strong and overwhelming or the other extreme, you're not in touch with them. So just finding a peaceful place to sit (alone!) and concentrating on writing down what's in your head, words, phrases etc can help. You need to give yourself the time and space to collect your thoughts, rather than putting yourself under pressure to write a song. Then when the subject matter is ready in your mind, the song will write itself!

You'll feel so good when those songs start coming out trust me:). Good luck with it!

Rob

-------------------

http://thefreemusician.com/

• 1 month later...

I know I'm new to the whole songwriting thing, but I've been a journalist and fiction writer for a while, so I know about the big hairy monster of writer's block. Here's some things I like to do.

Find something similar to your idea and make it your own. Example, just for creative purposes, I take song titles and write a new song with the same title. It gives you subject matter. Writing fiction works the same way. You read something that piques your interest and you write from there.

Carry a notebook EVERYWHERE if possible. I have a "hook book" I use for scribbling down snippets of ideas for whatever I'm working on. A few songs have come together from bits and pieces that weren't much before.

If writer's block has you down and you still need inspiration, just look around. I've written a couple of songs about coffee, about faded posters, so forth. Take an everyday object and make it your own!

Hope that helps!