Your Ad Could Be Here

Linux Audio Interfaces

Hello.

It seems to me that topic like this hasn't been opened, so i decided to open one for you. Please report a sucessful usage of audio interfaces on Linux operating system. Please include Linux distribution, version, audio interface model, number and describe what are you using audio interface for (what kind of recording).

Thank you!

Edited by 71GA

• 1 month later...

Well I ain't never went to set up anything for recording myself but I would reckon the best place to start for anyone that didn't know what the hell they were doin would be http://ubuntustudio.org/ . For anyone that's ever done anything with Linux I'm sure the feeling is that Ubuntu is the most dumbed down and easy version to use. Ubuntu studio comes stock with the more refined applications one might find from the FOSS community. It's more an over all studio than it is simply a recording studio. With it you could I assume record your album, make art work for it, and make a music video for it. Again I ain't never used this. I have used ubuntu and do find it to be a reliable os. This is probably a good starting point for anyone interested.

If your more of a hardcore linux nerd and hate ubuntu but want a studio os with alot of apps stock then I recommend http://www.64studio.com/

• Editors

oh,I forgot this topic,lol anyways,I recently started using Linux fulltime and I pretty much love it.

Im using Ubuntu 11.04 with my onboard laptop soundcard. I have installed the Ubuntu Studio extension pack which has a LOT of apps. I can connect my guitar to the computer and a simple app called Guitarix is my replacement for the Windows' Guitar Rig. Zero latency,decent sound.Installing something called Jack gives you access to interact b/w different audio apps running at the sametime(which supports Jack). For eg., using a graphical interface of the sound setup in an app called Patchage,I can connect the output of Guitarix(which will be your desired sound,you can create your custom patches) directly to an audio recording software for recording. As easy as that. for recording I use a DAW called Ardour,works pretty well,you have Audacity too for a simpler way. So its pretty awesome when you get used to it.You can also use VST plugins by loading it onto an app called LMMS with something called Wine installed(Wine is Windows Emulator,yes :) you can use most of the Windows apps on Linux) also the required files installed.

The negative about Ubuntu for me is: the mixing and mastering ability is not good enough. simple things like Noise Removal,parametric equalizers etc is not present in the DAW(not much of a DAW now is it :)) but its been serving well for me.

I use Linux all the time - for what it's good at: running servers. I tried running Linux for several other purposes through the years, and found out that I spent more time hacking than being creative. Opensource desktop software just isn't mature enough, and will probably never be. Tellsigns are: weird/unfinished user interfaces, frequent crashes, non-existing user support and frequently a nose-down attitude when you try suggesting or pointing out issues. Developers often think they are the salt of the earth and Linux developers are often the most self-righteous, snottynosed, arrogant bastards of them all. I know, I've been working with them for over 10 years.

If you want to be creative and not have the software get in the way: don't choose Linux.

PS: to be fair, most developers are very nice ;) ...

To be honest linux is completely unnecessary. If you want to record music but don't want to pay 600 dollars for protools, 900 dollars for what ever, and ect. Installing something like ubuntu studio would likely be quicker over all but there not an application that I'm aware of that doesn't have a windows version.

Here's a list of some free opensource apps that have some windows versions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio#Audio You can find these here

As far as a DAW you will probably have to use audacity. Adour and rosegarden don't seem to have a windows version unless you want to compile one yourself. Which I wouldn't want to do. audacity along with Macaw http://www.breakoutbox.de/midi/midi.html should cover you here.

@Mahesh have you tried using audacity for mastering? I know it at least has noise removal filters.

• Editors

Yeah,Audacity has the filters. but its not much of a DAW more likely just a recording software.Lately,I've been using it(its been a while since I've used it.I'd used it years ago when I'd just started recording EVER(Windows version)).The thing is that,if you know exactly the kind of sound you want and know how to get it,Audacity is bomb. If you want to experiment like with Adaptive noise reduction,multiband processors etc where you can experiment at realtime,then it doesnt work out.For that matter,Linux itself doesnt work out.

I use Ubuntu to record the instruments and vocals with ease(Windows doesnt provide good results for me with the onboard sound card). Then I do the mixing and mastering switching to Windows and using a DAW like Reaper.

• 5 months later...

2 years ago I came home from a gig and wanted to wind down by killing a few monsters on runescape only to discover that my Windows XP had succumbed to a Virus. After 2 weeks of trying to fix it an tearing my hair out I installed and started using Ubuntu linux. I have now upgraded to a version called Ubuntu Studio. This is designed for low latency Music. Video and Graphics production and offers a variety of great software for that purpose.

I had tried Cubase and It didn't work well with XP on my system. I also used Acid studio and that was better, but I had latency issues trying to mix down more that 4 tracks.

Ubuntu studio offers Ardour which is a sophisticated Multitrack music editing program comparable to Pro Tools. Using Ardour on my 8 year old Dell box I was able to mix a ten track composition using 2 or 3 plugins on each track with very little latency, far better that the software i ran in XP on the same machine.

Ubuntu Studio also offers Hydrogen, which is a great drum sequencer, Rosegarden Midi sequencer and Jack which allows connections between the different softare and Hardware resources of your computer, along with a variety of other music software.

I Highly recommend Ubuntu Studio. Also you can boot Ubuntu from a CD without installing it so you can check out the features, and it cam be installed on a Windows computer without disrupting the Windows installation (it will configure a partition on your hard drive) and offer you the choice to boot into Linux or Windows.

Check it out!

http://www.ubuntu.com/

http://ubuntustudio.org/

I use Linux all the time - for what it's good at: running servers. I tried running Linux for several other purposes through the years, and found out that I spent more time hacking than being creative. Opensource desktop software just isn't mature enough, and will probably never be. Tellsigns are: weird/unfinished user interfaces, frequent crashes, non-existing user support and frequently a nose-down attitude when you try suggesting or pointing out issues.

This.

I tried using Linux because I very much like the principles behind the Open Source movement, but for pro audio work, it just didn't cut it. Setting up a windows computer as a multitrack studio is easy, the issues have all been ironed out for over ten years now.

As has been pointed out, Windows computers are more prone to viruses than Linux or MAC, but who in their right mind is going to connect the computer they use as their multitrack recording studio to the NET or plug unscanned removeable media into it? Even in the worst case scenario, anyone who can handle setting up a linux distro is going to be able to reinstall XP with one hand on the wheel.

Before anyone says that they only have one PC they use for all purposes because the costs of running their dilapidated cottage in rural Cornwall makes purchasing a second one prohibative, you can go to your local dump these days and find a PC that's capable of running as a mutltrack recorder and mixer with ease, and you can pick up a 24 bit sound card for $50.00, which wouldn't even finance a single night out.