Your Ad Could Be Here

Room For Improvement....any Tips?

Steffanovic

Hi,

I've been taking singing lessons although I never got feedback from my singing teacher ( bad teacher I know, for some it's only about the money)

But I'm gonna post some live recordings ( recorded with a mobile phone so don't expect good quality, didnt use earplugs so sometimes it could sound like I scream a bit) but I really want to keep improving and was wondering if you have any tips.

• Editors

Steff,

I see some genuine learning here,you are on your way man :)

The videos shows orderly improvement,that's clear.

First thing I recommend is to find another music teacher.

Honestly,you can find all the resources you need online for free.As for guidance and improvement on your technique though I agree you do need someone ELSE to work with.

For now,I'd tell you to listen to a LOT of music(Wish some one made that as a serious advice for me when I started as a lil kid),what you build up on now is what will reflect you in the future.

Every morning,do a few warm ups. This is one of the most effective warm ups I know

(while you are there check out their videos for some more tips)

If you need any help with your technique or anything specific,just post and we'll see if we can help :)

the truth is I've been stuck with a young teacher. She owns a school but spends half of the time in the bathroom or making private phonecalls. Before taking lessons, she wants you to sign a contract and pay for at least a semester. when you're seriously ill or lose your voice, you lose the money. Just to tell you what my teacher's intentions are.

I never learnt anything about technique. So all improvements are thanks to practicing a lot. I sing a song, she plays the piano and says: that's good, other song plz. She tried to get me into jazz, but that's definitely not my cup of tea.

You see the thing is: I wanna be really good and I hope and believe that I have the potential to actually get to that point. But if my next teacher would act the way the former one did, I'll kick him or her out immediately.

Thanks for the warm up video! Finally something that's really supposed to work :-)

• Editors

its a debate,but learning songs doesnt take you much my friend.when you learn a particular song,its just 'muscle memory',ie.,if you strain yourself while singing a song,your throat muscles tend to do the same next time you sing around the same vowels and pitch. Its not healthy(although there are very great singers who've never went for classes).The first thing you need to work on is to make the throat muscles to 'back off' while singing so as to not strain/choke your voice.NOT working on pitch,NOT anything else,this first(although people might talk about 'breathing' too as a start which is not wrong either).Anyways,the warmup will help you,if you dont understand something,do lemme know.

And no sweat man,keep us updated and if any help needed,dont hesitate to put it up here or PM :)

Mahesh

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Steff

I am a singing and piano teacher and first off, let me say, I feel your teacher isn't really being professional by not giving you her undivided attention during a lesson which you have paid for. It's so important you get a person who can direct you and give you real guidance on using your voice. Anyway, I could talk about that a lot and that's not what this is about.

I agree with Mahesh, you are really on your way in many aspects of your performance and it's great that you are enthusiastic and so proactive in becoming professional.

So, apart from finding yourself another teacher, here's a couple of comments:

I think there are two main things that make a great singer. First of all you have to be a story teller, you need to interpret lyrics as your personal story, then tell that to the audience with all your own real emotion, and that way you get the second thing - authenticity.

You are singing in your natural voice which is good but there are some short words or phrases where it seems like you are trying to sound like... someone else or affecting the sound because you think it will be better than what is more natural. Your easy natural sound is always the best way to go.

Technically, you just need to focus a little more on supporting your voice with tension in your diaphragm. If you put your finger to your lips and do a loud "Shhhhhh", that's the kind of tension you need, especially on the high notes.

There's nothing wrong with singing loud, shouty and strong. In fact, I really encourage that in my singers. You have to be not afraid to make an ugly noise. (And it's never as bad as you think it is)

I could probably go on, but basically, you are really on the right track. Get yourself a professional teacher, one who really cares about you and who can communicate technique to you. Just keep singing and keep your passion.

If you want more advice you can visit my blog where there's some inspiring information for all musicians and singers.

Good luck

Lisa

Lisa,

thank you so much for your comment, it's really been a great help. Been visiting your blog and thought it was very inspired and fascinating. Steff

• 3 months later...

The three best, or perhaps just most memorable, pieces of singing advice I've been given were:

- Breath deeply into the stomach.

- Hold your shoulders back.

- Make eye contact with the audience (obviously this one applies to performing!)

They really struck a chord with me because they are so remarkably simple and they can make a dramatic difference in your performance. When I'm on stage I just can't focus on a whole list of technical techniques... I'm busy thinking about my lyrics and my guitar playing and there are definitely some nerves in there. Those three points are dead simple and I can easily apply them while balancing the other things.

I hope you find that useful. Keep it up man!