Your Ad Could Be Here

Requirements Of A Chorus

I've heard it a thousand times, and I know it's the standard, but there's always exceptions to a rule right? Is it frowned upon if I don't include the title in the chorus of my lyric? It's kind of inferred but not stated directly, so should I change it? The lyric's title is kind of summing the whole piece up.

In case you were wondering, the title is Alone, and this is the chorus right now:

A sea of faces

a thousand eyes

and exchange of words

and indistinct cries

I'm not completely satisfied with it, but I'm not sure what to change...help?

As you've already stated, I think that is the accepted guideline. But, as you've also suggested.....there are a million exceptions to that guideline & every other one.

If I were to make a guess as to why it's widely encouraged, my guess would be that being part of the chorus offers a built-in advantage - "repetition". Choruses are typically the repeated part of a song, hence your title is repeated.....thereby improving the chances of the title being remembered by the listener.

In the end, it's completely up to you! The only variable you may want to consider, is whether you have commercial goals for this song. If you do, given the standard we've been discussing, having it part of the chorus may improve it's chances of acceptance in the commerical market. You & both know though.....there aren't any guarantees either way. Good luck with the song!

One last thought here....looking over your chorus lyric, maybe you could add another line to your last chorus section...........

something like -"I'm alone"......get it in there that way.

Hmm, as of right now I don't have any commercial goals for it, but who knows? :) and as for you last suggestion, I think I will do that, or something like it! Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Sakura

• 1 month later...

It is mostly for identification purposes. There are approximately one billion songs uploaded a month on the Internet. A large chorus that identifies your song tells people who might be a customer of your music what it is, what it is about, and where to get it. If you have a song that does not feature the title in the hook of the song, you make it harder to find you. And in the day of Google searches, you pretty much eliminate your chances of being heard at all. People do not have time to go searching for a song they heard if there is not an identifiable part to it. It is totally up to you, and how fast you want to be ignored and forgotten.

MAB

• 2 months later...

It is mostly for identification purposes. There are approximately one billion songs uploaded a month on the Internet. A large chorus that identifies your song tells people who might be a customer of your music what it is, what it is about, and where to get it. If you have a song that does not feature the title in the hook of the song, you make it harder to find you. And in the day of Google searches, you pretty much eliminate your chances of being heard at all. People do not have time to go searching for a song they heard if there is not an identifiable part to it. It is totally up to you, and how fast you want to be ignored and forgotten.

MAB

I am a songwriter, how can i get a buyer for my song.

I've heard it a thousand times, and I know it's the standard, but there's always exceptions to a rule right? Is it frowned upon if I don't include the title in the chorus of my lyric? It's kind of inferred but not stated directly, so should I change it? The lyric's title is kind of summing the whole piece up.

In case you were wondering, the title is Alone, and this is the chorus right now:

A sea of faces

a thousand eyes

and exchange of words

and indistinct cries

I'm not completely satisfied with it, but I'm not sure what to change...help?

what does it takes to have a music publishing company?

MAB

Chorus work is easy and at the same time hard. For more commercial larger markets a repetition of the title and theme is best. Everything else is up to you. You can get very complex or you can get very simplified. Your above chorus is : A/B/C/B alternating which is fine, without the verses it's hard to know the pace of the lyrics themselves that maybe the chorus is slowing down or speeding up or doing whatever the music dictates. For the sake of argument, based on the title and theme we will say slow. Why not rhymes with alone without saying alone. As a rough example :

" A sea of faces

A thousand eyes

Words in whispered tones

And indistinct cries "

or

" The crowd of faces has shown

Their piercing eyes

Whispering cruel tones

And indistinct cries "

You can even use the word alone :

" Alone

In a sea of faces

Alone

In the staring eyes

Alone

To the exchanging of words

In the starless skies "

Hope this helps.

There's song titles never appear, there's song titles that are the hook, there's song titles that appear in the chorus or verse and sometimes both. I guess that means it is up to you :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a songwriter, how can i get a buyer for my song.

Where are your songs? No point referring you to say "a good friend and music contact" without knowing something of your work.

As it is I can't find anything of yours posted here (which is a little suspicious) as you've bloated posts 'almost' demanding to know how to setup a company and/or how to sell your songs. This is a helpful "community" - community being the operative word where one joins in with giving and not just asking to take.

So critique some songs, upload some of yours here and then perhaps a kind soul will listen to your questions.

• 2 months later...

Having the title in the chorus was more important back when it was harder to look stuff up on the internet, so unless you are doing pop music it isn't really necessary at all. In fact, I've found that not having your title in the chorus, especially in the days of google, gives you more chances of being heard if you are promoting your videos/songs/websites correctly, mostly because it gives you more keywords to use, and the more keywords you have that aren't super common the more people will stumble across you. Also, alot of sites that let you upload music also let you upload lyrics, making it just as easy to find your song without having the title in the lyrics.