Your Ad Could Be Here

Help?

Nonchocco

:001_unsure:

This is my 2nd thread on this website and I have a question :) (Sorry if this sounds stupid but I couldn't work out where else to put this, forgive me if this is the wrong section) By the way, I have just started to song write

I have just started writing a song and I really like my first verse but my second verse sounds cheesy and I want to improve but my idea's have just vanished :( I want to sort of flow and bond the two verses together and I have a high expectation of myself since I came up with the first verse quickly. But my words have left me. (I haven't written the chorus yet).

If I do complete my first draft of this song, then this will be my second song I have finished in at least a first draft.

Thanks for any help. I don't want to write the lyrics I have come up with but I will write the second verse :) It's about moving away from a place you dearly love, like your first home or something. I don't yet have a title but I do have an idea. If anyone can think of a good title, I would be a very appreciated.

Walking down the alleyway

Recalling old times

The local shipping/docking bay

Embedded in my mind

This is the verse I hate but I don't mind the first line. I want the first line in this to be start with, 'Walking down the...'

Thanks for any help

thanks very much tom! that helped a lot. especially the stop and walk away. i just started writing a completely different song and when i had a peek at this one, i found it much easier to concentrate and focus my idea's and passage of though :) title wise- i do have one which i like but only me and a select few others can relate to whereas the lyric idea... everyone can relate to! thank you for you time and effort

PS- i didn't mean write the song as much as any experience in this matter and any tips or articles on the subject. and you hit the nail on the head :)

I'm glad the proverbial nail has been hot on the head :)

Yes, this is the right place for this.

For those that are more experienced, it's hard to recall the first steps they took along this road. But suffice to say, the same problem continues to exist except we get used to pulling lines out of thin air so to speak and testing them.

I'm just trying to write words to a composed piece of music and the more I listen to the music and break it down, I must have done 20 or so rewrites. It's given me some amazing lines that I've discarded.

I've taken 2 days off the words and whoa, I think I've got a final version. I needed that time off because all the great lines I wrote were spinning around my head.

But back to beginnings. Each of us has to find initially a way of beginning that works for us. There is no hard and fast rule. The books state that a hit song will come from getting an outstanding title, then an outstanding hook etc and blah de blah. What "you" do comes from experimenting what fits you. Get that under your belt first.

Some folks think a good way to begin is by taking an accomplished song and writing your own words. Sometimes this can be a good exercise since you get a feel of how the music and words must come together - neither follows the other.

So read through others lyrics, listen to others music (here on SongStuff) and let what flows flow into words from you. Initially you can go one of two ways. Write down all that comes out and make sense of it or study hard the rules and try and apply them.

Personally I like the 1st to find your own "style" and then apply the 2nd to get your style formatted. There's so many things though to take into account such as genre so if you're focused on a genre you need to focus on its style, If your genre free then you meet other problems/difficulties.

Just take your time to go through the boards and soak up the information.