Your Ad Could Be Here

About bass strings and shit like that...

Guest olggu

I am not a bass player, I am just a geek who wants to learn how to play, so I have a urge to learn every little detail about the business, and that is how I usually learn things. So I dig information from every place what is handy, and I discover some point's which I going to dored the hell out of you guys who anyway knows everything about the tools in trade: Let start from the strings; there is quite amount different kind of bass strings to choose, so how choose right set for you style? What I do is I take a look what kind of strings those solo bass players use, because  sound is everything for these guys, and they put the strings in very hard use with that slapping and popping. So I buy set of DR's Marcus Miller Fat Beams, and they are just what I want; there is glass bright hig registry, groove low registry and those strings seems to hold out about anything. Another dude, (Strandberg) uses those swedish EBS "Northern Light" strings, which he have proven to hold the field what comes durability and sound. So if you broke strings, it maybe have something to do with a quality of those strings. So how about those another gadgets what they sell for the bassists, like that Hipshot Bass extender and stuffl like that? Different kind of bridges and so on? What I see there is a great way to custom your axe with a low cost, if you think you need a better sustain, chance to use different tunings, or just get more out from the old and familiar instrument. You screw on that Hipshot gadget, and you get that dropped -d tuning (or what ever) on and of with a flick.  You bolt on something like Badass II bridge, and you have whole new sustain in your Fender. So be alert and look around every now and then; there is great gadgets lurking in the shadows of internet ;D

Hey Olggu! The best advice I can give you right now!

Learn to play it first, then try out these gadgets. They may not suit your style of playing.

That is what I am doing anyway, but that doesn't mean there isn't any intrest to continuous search for better equipment...

And by the way, there isn't any style in my playing; I just make some noise ;D

There is certainly more to playing the Bass than just hitting the right notes! When I first played bass, it took me several weeks to learn to play the bass!

"Bassist is the player, which ordinary people doesn't even hear, before it is missing." Quote from Marcus Miller's interview from Finnish magazine "Riffi". Miller dude have spoken, and what he say is true. 70% of listeners doesn't hear bass at all, they can't assort different instrument sounds from each other, so bass player make the difference only when he plays either wrong or some spectacle way...

;D ;D ;D

there is great gadgets lurking in the shadows of internet ;D

Gadget's like this; Quote from http://www.neuserbasses.com/nfs.html  :

The NFS ( Neuser Fretless System) is a truly innovative design. Inspired by Dominique Di Piazza, Neuser Basses designed a switchable bridge that enables you to produce both a fretted and a fretless sound with an ordinary fretted electric bass. The NFS bridge can transform your ordinary bass into something extraordinary. Especially in studio or on stage the NFS works like a dream. No more retuning and switching between instruments, now you can have it all in one! The NFS greatly improves the performance of your bass and your playing .Imagine that you can learn to play fretless over a night and its not more complicated than to play a regular fretted bass.

;D

Just went to that site, NFS is the shit. I'd love to have my lower strings fretted and my uppers fretless. I wonder how much height differense there would be. I assume they use height to make it work. Another idea I was toying with was an E-Bow for a Bass, that would rock. Interesting thread guys, good work.

Peace,

John

I wonder how much height differense there would be. I assume they use height to make it work

I don't know if that is the hight of the strings what they use, or is there something like anvil what you can lift near the strings, and which connect that buzz to the body of the instrument. If that is hight, there will be some awfull fretbuzz also, and that we don't want to hear, so I think that isn't the hight of the strings...I really don't know...Marc is The BassMann, he can buy one for testing...

;D ;D ;D ;D

The role of bass is unique. I can play a bass, but no way am I a bass player. Assuming the bass role is the key I believe.  :)

Not everyone realizes that it takes a different mindset to be a Bass player.  It is painful to me to listen to a guitar player play Bass.