Your Ad Could Be Here

Recording Guitar

OK whats the best way to record a guitar?

I have my Les Paul plugged into the Boss GT5, direct into the soundcard. And Im not very happy with it! I cant seem to to get any oomphhh! out of it. If I use my old H.H amp, It's very noisy and hissy and and a real bugger for the neighbours at 11 Oclock at night. So what's the answer.? Is there another way?

Welll..

IF an H.H. AMP won't do the trick..... NUTHIN' will???

Anyway (seriously) I guess that effects-line of Yours hasn't got an AMP-simulator? If it does.... cool!

Anyway.... recording a git through an AMP at HOME is a REAL pain in the..... thingee.... so one solution could be to build a little insulated BOX of about 1,5x1,5 metres and put yer AMP in it , with the recording mike and then blast away as loud as is needed for that sparkling , brilliant guitar-sound.... that will blow the socks off anybody in the vicinity..... well.... just a thought!

H.  ;)

KillerJoes point about the amp simulator is well made. You do have several of these, though its not always obvious what the actual models are. Dont forget you can adjust amp gain, pre-amp gain, full [glow=red,2,300]spectal[/glow] tonal control, simulated speaker mic placement etc. to dirty it up as much as you want.

The idea of sealing it all up in a box is a fun idea though. Will ::) it bounce around and feedback?

• 3 weeks later...
Thats not as crazy as it sounds! I recently read about something very similar. An Amp in an enclosed box with a mic shoved in there too. Maybe I'll investigate further...

Well.... actually NOT crazy at ALL!

There are recordings actually made that way (so I hear...) and in a home situation...what the hell can You do, anyway!

Obviously you CAN'T have a stack of Marshalls in Your bedroom, livingroom, or where-ever You do Your recording... (IF You don't  live  three stories underground....)

SO.... special gadgets for special needs!

Well, ONE good example is that whatzizname Queen's guitarist..... HE wasn't happy with ready-made guitars, so he MADE one... he wasn't happy with PICKS.... so he used a COIN to play.... and his studio - amps had... what? 4-inch speakers.... (or something) to get that violin-like sound he's famous for... so what the hell.... like I said before: Special Gadgets For Special Needs.... and that "Amp-In-A-Box"-approach is not crazier than anything else You might be using  to get a "Signature-Sound" which everybody is looking for BUT so few are finding....

Carlos Santana, Gary Moore, Frank Zappa, and many other guitarists ARE recognizeable not  only by their STYLE, but their SOUND, tailored for their own special needs... AND THAT makes YOU recognize them from the first frases that they play (....The DREAM of any guitarist on this planet? A Signature Sound?)

Well.... anyway.... IF you have to build a "recording booth" to play LOUD..... WHY not make it large enough to record VOCALS in, too, while You're at it! (That could be handy, sooner or later...)

I live in a condo.... the house isn't too TALL,  or anything (just 3 floors), BUT there are neighbours (grumpy, mean-ass-music-hating-neighbours, who would LOVE to see me go away...), who WILL get annoyed and WILL make COMPLAINTS if the music is too loud (ONE  bastard right next door MADE a complaint two years BAK, when I was testing my TRI-PATH-TIO digital amp, and playing stuff a little louder than usual,.... I nearly got kikked out of my apartment.... GEEZ!

OOPS! I seem to have wandered OFF just a little bit!

Anyway..... use whatever means necessary even if it means tearing down the basement swimming-pool to build a booth for recording..... You can allways SWIM in the OCEAN....on the other hand... playing the GUITAR in the OCEAN could present a problem!

Bye, boyz!

H.H.   ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Brian May

Sheesh how disrespectful.. ::) ::)

Well, Wendell. JUST WAIT 'till YOU get old!

The Memory goes FIRST!

Anyway Mr. May's one f****** fine guitar player!!!

Nuttin'  at all to do wit the MOVIE "Life Of Brian".....unfortunately!

Bye!

H.H. 8)

Cut to the chase, why not just shove the singer in there?

(and go down the pub)?

You mean like shove the singer in there.... and LEAVE him in there..... and let's all go to the pub?

What's with You and the singers?

(Just curious...)

H.H.   ;D ;D ;D

;D

OK whats the best way to record a guitar?

I have my Les Paul plugged into the Boss GT5, direct into the soundcard. And Im not very happy with it! I cant seem to to get any oomphhh! out of it. If I use my old H.H amp, It's very noisy and hissy and and a real bugger for the neighbours at 11 Oclock at night. So what's the answer.? Is there another way?

YEP.

Buy a new AMP, scrooqe!

Butt..... seriously, folks, those neighbours really CAN be a big pain in the "Gluteus Maximus"..... I guess RAID doesn't help much?(Allthough it IS for Homes And Gardenias...)

Anyway.... IF allowed to utter a few serious words on this occasion, the OOOOMMPHH comes from the AMP, so, recording straight from an effects-pedal, or a pre-amp is bound to sound a bit "DIK-less" .... so better take that saw in hand, after all....AND,,,, mikes DO affect the sound more than most people realize ... SO how about a set of DiMarzios, or ORIGINAL GIBSON humbuckers? (They DO sell those, as replacement parts, AND at least over HERE in the armpit of the universe people buy those for copy-Gibsons from Korea and whatnot..... and are VERY happy.... because the old Gibson git's were not mechanically so well crafted after all (BUT HIDEOUSLY priced...) compared to gits coming out of the assembly-lines in Korea ...Japan, etc.

Anyway..... just a thought...or three

Bye!

H.H.  8);D8)

What's with You and the singers?

(Just curious...)

They need humility, its good for them. Steve can give a few examples of this (like feeding them the wrong key before a song)

What I want is the air movement that the speaker cone makes when I whack the crap out of a chord or two. THATS what is missing....  

Ever thought of buying a pneumatic instrument lead?

Youll need to find a compresser (no not the mastering sort) with a capacity shut off valve. A hard hat is a good idea too. :)