Your Ad Could Be Here

dressing frets...

john

Hi John,

Hopefully for you you're not me :)

Otherwise my only advice would be: give it to a professional. And even then. I had a guitar nearly "killed" by a so-called guitar maker. Fortunately, I am now able to use the services of one of the best French guitar maker, if I need too.

I don't know much about frets. Only that it depends on the depth of the string marks (and on the initial highness of the frets), whether or not it's possible to dress frets. When it's too deep (or the frets were very flat to begin with), you have to re-fret completely with new frets.

But I suppose you already know that.

Didier

Unless you are getting fret buzz I would think twice about stoning/filing your frets. A few marks are not much of a problem otherwise.

I have never tried this (despite one fret buzz in one place) as I am scared to death of it !

I do have some info on this though. Step one is to blend the worn `groove' back. This is done with a flat mill file, followed by 220, 320 and 400 grit emery paper or stones. Step two is to re-shape the fret. That is filing the sides to restore the rounded profile. For this use a tiny triangular file. If you are worried about accidently damaging the fret wood/inlay, then grind one triangle ridge smooth first.

Some (perhaps many) guitars are shipped new with flat frets (the rounding is not complete). Flat frets are more hardwaring but less performance friendly. Rounded frets should allow better intonation and easier bending due to reduced friction. All frets should ideally be round profiled.

If your grooves are too deep; more than 30% of the full hieght, you might concider a partial re-fret. Get as many professional opinions as possible and go with the one you trust.

If you want more detail then say so. I am reading from  a `Repair Guide' which has a lot to say about re-fretting. If you like I can try to photograph the text and send it as an e-attachment.

There is actualy a tool for this which I have used on my own guitar. It is basicaly a piece of aluminium shaped thus:

_____A___________A_____

Varying grades of emery cloth would be used first on the top to grind down the frets. Then finer grades on the bottom to round off the frets. The fretboard is first covered with selotape or insulation tape, then the blade is moved up and down the entire fretboard.

This method is definately NOT for the faint hearted. I have used this procedure on 5 or 6 guitars, the first one being my own.

Hi

thanks for the replies. Interesting stuff. I have the files you mention Rudi. I guess the main concern is damaging the fret board.

Steve, Rudi might understand, but I'm not really sure I get what you mean. Is this a tool that you can buy?

Cheers

John

• 3 years later...

yes, although I just used my small files an fretting stone with the tape on the fretboard. It wasn't because of fret buzz though, but string wear on the frets leaving indents. The hardest bit was trying to take the fret down but leaving a suitable "A" profile on the fret. As you file down the fret the flat top on the fret gets broader, which can minutely alter the pitch. Filing the top down is easy, but not damaging the fretboard as you dress the sides of the fret is tricky.

Done now. :)

I dressed the frets on my acoustic guitar last summer. I took some piccies and was going to produce an article , but thought better of it. We don't want to be sued by irate guitarists with unplayable guitars do we...? :-/

• 3 weeks later...

I was surprised to see me say I thought I understood, because now I dont. Im talking about Steve's aluminium tool. Does this travel up & down a single fret, or horizontaly across?

Any chance of a piccy?

This is the best I can come up with. I don't actually have one of these any more!

post-84-1179512983_thumb.png

As viewed, The tool sits on various grades of emery cloth and is used the entire length of the fret board from nut to bridge pickup!. This takes down the frets. After checking with a metal rule , the tool is turned over with the 'top' now sitting on the frets with some fine grade emery cloth, again being used up and down the entire fret board. This rounds off the frets. A final dressing with very fine emery cloth, and then wire wool on each individual fret to polish them..

ahhh [smiley=monsterwink.gif]. I see.

My former idea of the flat bed grinder was wrong though. I have since learned that a tiny amount of convex bow should be present on a fingerboard. Your method would likely be ok though as the abrading surface is only in contact with a few frets at a time. Also sheet aluminium is likely to have some flex in it.