Your Ad Could Be Here

intonation

john

Didier, Intonation refers to tuning or `accurate tuning'. I too am a little puzzled though as unless John is going to replace or reposition the bridge and/or nut, I'm not sure how to advise.

Are you looking to set-up following the fret repair? To check intonation? Or just to set the action/tension?

What sort of guitar are you working on John. Steel stung accoustic? With arch-top bridge? attached with pegs behind the arch?

If it is an electric with Floyd Rose bridge, you are in for some fun.

What ever your answer, I suspect you would do better to get a trusted repairman to do this. If you are keen to have a go yourself, I will try and advise to the best of my meagre ability!

Didier, Intonation refers to tuning or `accurate tuning'.

Thanks Rudi,

That what I thought initially, and then I thought "John surely knows the basic of intonation, then what is he asking for?"

I too am a little puzzled though as unless John is going to replace or reposition the bridge and/or nut, I'm not sure how to advise.

Yes, passed the basics (which John surely knows), I'm not sure what kind of advice he's seeking.

The only thing I know for sure (from very experienced repairmen and guitar makers), is that intonation is the thing that you're supposed to do last, after everything you intend to do on the guitar has been done:

Frets, neck setup (if the guitar allows that), bridge condition, whatever, and new strings.

The other thing I know is that, when comparing the open string and the 12th fret, the pressure has to be *very* light on the 12th fret, even lighter than you would use to play normally, just short of buzz.

Thus said, none of my guitars are really tuned, there's always something a little too sharp or flat on at least a few strings. And that's not because they're in bad condition. They are at the limit of what can be possiblity done given the guitars.

Didier

Hi

Like my post on dressing frets, I am looking for tips, or a set method, for setting up the intonation on a guitar. So, whatcha say?

Cheers

John

How about some stupid question? Here we go:

Have you try search from the net? I mean that I have found plenty of things concerning how to set up bass and guitars searching by google 8)

Hi

Ok. What am I doing (madman that I am ;D). My main electric is in need of an overhaul. The action is set at just the right level for feel. There are two frets that create a light buzz, but this is really because the nut needs replaced. Two other frets however create flat/dead notes on the High E and B strings at the 14th and 15th fret. Not light enough to create an intermittent buzz. More that when the notes behind the fret are played, the fret completely damps the string. As the action feels right I am reluctant to raise the action.

I have checked the neck for warping, and it is fine. The torsion bar is adjusted correctly.

A few of the frets have reasonably bad string marks that are ok, except on some bends they catch a little.

The guitar was bought in 1980. It's a Yoshi, not an expensive guitar, but I still love the sound and feel of the instrument.

I have worked on guitars many times, but before I started this I thought it was worth consulting the guru's of the BBS! 8)

I could put it into a shop, but hey... at least I'm not trying to re-glue the neck on one of my favourite 12 strings (bloody roadies>:(). A shop for that I think...

Cheers

John

(bloody roadies).

Ha ha ha ha ha ... I think you need a gun for that problem...

As for the fret problem... If you bend the string, is it still dead?

As for intonation, if it is pretty close anyway, it shouldn't take too long. just play the harmonic and the octave to hear the difference and adjust the bridge with a small screwdriver. I always start with low E then top E then A, B, D and G. Then go over the whole lot again, this time with a tuner. Shouldn't take too long..

If you bend the string it eventually plays ok...

That sounds like the frets may have lost symetry. As if there is a `worn' depression that regains its sound when you slur it up/down. I sometimes wondered about that. This is what worries me about individual fret dressing: -being able to `make them all the same'. It may be that I worry too much, partial refrets and individual fret dressing are pretty common so they must work.

As far as the set-up goes though. I dont think you should have much trouble if the frets are sorted.

That sounds like the frets may have lost symetry. As if there is a `worn' depression that regains its sound when you slur it up/down. I sometimes wondered about that. This is what worries me about individual fret dressing: -being able to `make them all the same'. It may be that I worry too much, partial refrets and individual fret dressing are pretty common so they must work.

As far as the set-up goes though. I dont think you should have much trouble if the frets are sorted.

Another stupid question...How about a nut which is worn and is so unsymmetric, that it brings up that little difference in fret hights? You know, string in the worn notch on the nut, is little bit lower in nut end of the neck, and it can't play right no matter if hight of the strings have been adjusted correctly...Here you can find new nut....http://www.langcaster.com/Earvana-Guitar-Nut.html

..these guys are real nuts...khm...bye  ;D ::)