Your Ad Could Be Here

Evaluate My Singing Voice

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone can provide an honest opinion on my singing voice. Most of my friends tell me I sing pretty good, and while I trust their judgement, I would like to get a subjective perspective on how my singing is, and how in any way I can improve it.

http://youtu.be/KLOPFkdJ-GM

http://youtu.be/RUduLu1anJU

These are two as examples, however you can go to my YT channel and check the rest of my videos if you like.

Thanks so much, and if you have any questions, just shoot.

• 4 weeks later...

I think your voice is pretty good for your age. It does need more strength though, and at times the notes are a little flat. It may not help that you are playing guitar at the same time. High notes seem to be a problem, probably because your throat strains instead of relaxing. Practice is the solution! :yes:

In the first video you have good vocal tone, but notes are pretty flat thru-out, horrifying in a couple of places. Singing with both sides of the headphones on will make intonation problems worse. As noted above, need more strength and need to relax in the upper register. This just takes practice, but a good coach can get you there faster without damaging your voice. Pop singing can take its' toll if done incorrectly.

Second video intonation was better over-all, but there were a couple of spots where it seemed like you didn't really know the song. Again straining in the higher register, but near the end you slipped into falsetto, and for a few seconds everything came together and it sounded pretty good.

Don't give up. You've got some work to do, but the potential is there.

That's cool, don't let your limitations kill the fun. Even without a coach or lessons, you can improve your intonation just by matching notes on the guitar with your voice, playing a chord and singing a scale, things like that. And of course, singing the songs you like. Listen back to yourself critically and concentrate on problem areas. Most all of us have been thru the same...

Thanks for the encouragement! :) Do you know of any exercises that can help me relax my throat when I try to reach the high notes?

This is what I do for a living judge vocals please do yourself a favor take vocal lessons.You are off key in many spots dude. What are you using for a mic?

I am using a Blue Snowball Mic.

Edited by farouk2music

Do you know of any exercises that can help me relax my throat when I try to reach the high notes?

Yawn. See how your throat feels? Kind of open. It should be close to that when you sing. Now sing up a scale until your voice changes register. Notice when you begin to strain. Then concentrate on that area.

Also, I think there's an article by Cheryl Hodge that might help here on SongStuff, and I'm sure you can find some good vids on YouTube if you search.

• 1 month later...

It's always good to see a singer having fun doing there thing. Yeah, there's room for improvement, but if this is more of a hobby for you, then I'd say you're doing alright man.

When it comes to critiques, I agree with most of what I've seen here. There's some unnecessary tension in your voice... which you may benefit from reading this article on Releasing Vocal Tension - http://singingtipsblog.com/2008/10/01/rid-yourself-of-the-2-most-common-forms-of-vocal-tension/

Also, I feel like you're singing on a small fraction of your voice. It's partially tension that's getting in the way, but also a lack of resonance space. Check out this video and I bet it'll help you quite a bit -

I hope this helps man, and keep enjoying and sharing your music!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...