Your Ad Could Be Here

"do-It-Yourself" Guitar Kits

Hi everyone!

Did someone ever buy a guitar kit before? If so, how was your experience? I saw some cool videos on Youtube where you can have a good idea about the sound, the look and the build-up of the guitar and, actually, i can say i'm impressed cause i thought those guitars were cheap. But on the videos i watched, the 200$ (US $) range ones look pretty nice.

So i decided to by myself one of those kits, a Strat like one. I will receive it friday, so i will be able to bring a full review here after that. Is there any of you who tried?

Here's the one i got: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280796241688

It cost me 180$ (US $) including taxes and shipping.

Pascal

• 3 months later...

Kits are a great way to get into building. You've got everything you need to make a decent guitar, and you probably won't notice the differences between it and a 'good' guitar until you play it for a while.

My only comment is.... it's a slippery slope. You'll build one, then you'll change the tuners, then replace pickups, then want a HSS, then want to redo the wiring to have a volume on all three knobs, then want a tele, then get templates to cut your own bodies and necks out of a whole pile of different woods.... etc. Great fun though.

I've never bought a kit but have ordered a guitar a peice at a time. Body from Warmoth, neck from Carvin,.. etc. Really as long as the kit is quality parts it is a big save money wise compaired to buying one whole.

As long as the body is solid rather than plywood and the neck is straight your good to go.

When my "guitar in instalments" was finaly complete it was very fulfilling the first time I banged out some power chords on a guitar I built. Being poor has it's benefits :P

Edited by MarcG