Your Ad Could Be Here

What Keyboard ? Please Advice

Guest nickko

good evening to all,

please, i need your kind help and advice for analog synth or analog synth module i am looking to buy for some specific sounds i want to create for ambient and new age music compositions.

my favourite synth artists are :

tangerine dream, tomita, kitaro, chris speeris, yianni.

my choices are :

mini moog 600 euros good condition

korg s (sigma) 300 euros in good condition as new with some ninor marks, one joystick is broken but is still working ok

roland sh1000 euros 275 good condition

roland sh2000 euros 340 good condition

korg polysix not monophonic but it is in the sale list of my local music dealer euros 250 good condition

doepfer dark energy module new euros 245 with batch cables

dave smith evolver module new euros 365

vst reaktor version 2009 with full sound library (10 dvd's) + 61 keys midi kbrd euros 300

i have been told that if i use a vst instrument i get 90% of the original (hardware synth) sound and my best choice is the ni reaktor.

my second best choice is the dave smith evolver and when i get the lotto prize my choice is the technosaurus modular system with 125 modules..... cost about 24000 us dollars...

the problem with analog gear is the spare parts and i doubt if anybody here in my country can repair and calibrate such as synth.

somebody else advice me to buy the doepher dark energy and he claimed that i can create stunning analog sounds very similar to the sound of my favourite synth groups.

i believe that i will get a better advice from the forum so i post my question here.

please, let me have your thoughts.

many thanks in advance.

Thoughts... if you're going to play live at all a good stable hardware synth probably can't be beat, but at the same time, you probably would want to take a classic piece like a MiniMoog out of the house because of the cost of repair if damaged. I have Reaktor and it is incredible. With Reaktor you can design your own synths, so there's the chance of geeking out technically, rather than making music, but I think it's capable of anything...

dear Retrosaurus Rex,

good afternoon,

i thank you for your reply.

no i don't have any plans for playing live for the moment.

yes the repair cost for an analog keyboard is really high but the problem is that i doubt if there any specialize electronic technicians for those analog keyboards so i have to rely on on software synth like reaktor.

i think that the cost of 300 euros for the reaktor of 2009 version my local dealer ask is a little high but i will check again tomorrow and i will decide.

thanks again.

dear vivies good morning,

yes, reaktor may be a "good" choice for creating analog sounds even the version of 2009 seems to be good for me but according to an old man that i met recently the sound of reaktor is not "good enough".

this person was a session musician at the well known avionne studio at geniva and he was playing keyboards like prophet t8, synclavier, oberheim matrix and moog modular so for him reaktor is just a cheap imitation of an analog synth.

ok, for me that i am a much younger reaktor is perfect since i do not have any idea about what was the authentic sound of those analog synths.

i have talked just yestarday with somebody and was telling about a small uk family company that is manufacturing real analog modular systems.

they have an extensive range of synth modules but i am afraid to say that are really to expensive for me.

my friend told me that he knows that this company have some used modular systems about four years old with prices less than uk pounds 2500 and i will search to find some more details.

we are talking about a complete system which was costing over 6000 uk pound four years ago.

i will check later this morning.

have a good day.

Edited by nickko