Your Ad Could Be Here

So If The End Result Is No Longer The End Result...

PhiloSophia

So I've been reading quite a bit in this section of the forums because well, I need vast amounts of guidance...

If a record deal with a major label is no longer the end result to consider oneself "successful" then, how do we know we got there? I really don't know a thing about the business side of the music industry aside from what to watch out for. I don't know what steps I should be taking other than 1. getting a professional demo/CD and 2. Playing live and gaining a solid fanbase. so aside from those thing, how the heck am I supposed to get from :

Point A

Struggling artist

-to-

Point B

Professional full time income generating Artist.

Especially when I have not the slightest idea how to be able to afford getting even the first steps taken care of. Serious question... why does it seem like everyone else can "get there" and for me it's been a 6 yr struggle with minimal payoff. I've been pretty discouraged lately but there's nothing else I have this... passion for. I can't imagine doing anything else. I want to make music, I want to move people, I want to do amazing things for the world in what capacity I can, but I just can't get there.

ugh.

/vent

Anywho, if any of you seasoned pros out there have any advice I'd appreciate it. Thanks mucho!

With love,

Kymlee

Edited by Kymlee

Hi Kymlee,

The only true measure of success is your own. Don't let yourself get down by other people's expectations! If fame and fortune is what you're aiming for, it's a long road and there is no one surefire way to go about it.

You have it right, there are two basic things you must have: music to give to people and a captivating performance. Beyond that it's all about how you market yourself. Talk to people before and after your performances. Talk to the people who run the venues and establish relationships with these people. The best way to do that is ask what you can do for them. Work with as many people as you can and word will begin to spread.

Also it's very important that you interact with other artists in your area. They are a part of the same struggle that you are and if you help them they will certainly help you. This is a good way to find out about audio engineers and producers so you can get a good demo put together. If you establish a good enough relationship they may even help you out for cheap or point you to someone who can.

In this business it's all about who you know and the more people you know the better.

If you're stuck on how to market yourself there's several examples of what you can do at my blog just click the link in my signature.

• Like 1

thanks for the words of wisdom, I will definitely be checking out your blog. I've kinda been blindly going along for awhile now, and I'm just ready to really get somewhere. aka fire is lit under bottom :D

I will do as you suggested, and hopefully this will get me somewhere. Networking is def a big thing, I know that. I wouldn't be where I am in life if it weren't for people I've run into or helped or have become friends with. Funny thing isn't it? Fate...

Take care, and thanks again!

Being successful now doesn't normally involve record labels anymore. You have to put yourself out on the internet, play live, and promote your music wherever you can, but you have to do it smartly.

One basic step is getting your music to major online sellers like iTunes, the people at awal.com will put your music EVERYWHERE for free, but they take a 15% cut off of profits from these sites (which really isn't that much.) Also, I've worked with the folks at evolvingpoet.com, and they will distribute your music, help you with marketing a few hours a week, and they do a ridiculously great job. They also don't charge anything up front, just 15-20% of profit. They helped me out for my first year on the internet, and when I wanted to leave they taught me how to take over everything they were myself, which was great!

Otherwise, success is where ever you want to make it. Keep trying and good luck!

• Like 1