Your Ad Could Be Here

New To The Boards

Howdy!

I never know what to write in these things, or just how interested people will be to read them. So if it's too much...my apologies; not enough...ask what you wanna know!

I'm John...originally for San Antonio, TX, but have lived in 3 music cities (L.A., Austin and Memphis); hoping to soon relocate to either Nashville, ATL or back to La La Land. I'm in my early 40s now, and grew up in what I consider to be 3 of the best decades for music: 70s, 80s, and 90s. I've been active in music since the 5th grade, started dabbling in writing in my early 20s, and 20 yrs on I'm still struggling to find my own lyrical voice (and my break into 'the biz'). I feel like I'm stuck in a 'music bubble' and am trying to get out of it. But quite frankly the landscape of popular music sucks right now, and the talent pool seems to be shrinking. (Does anyone ELSE feel that way?!) I like all styles of music, but feel most comfortable writing for the "Big 3"...Pop/R&B/Country. I don't consider myself an accomplished musician, though I did play piano in the church. I'm now trying to get into production a little bit more, though I'm having a hard time getting the ideas out into a media format. So I'm hoping to find a vehicle to get my songs out, produced, and heard. What I'd love to find is someone to collaborate with on production/arrangements, but I know it's more difficult for a lyricist for find a producer than it is the other way around. Also, I'm more of a balladeer than anything and would like to sharpen my skills at writing more up-tempo material.

I can (as much as anyone else) appreciate a clever lyric, but I tend to focus on clear, concise writing with the occasional metaphor/simile than purely symbolic or overly metaphorical writing; I think it confuses the listener and is not conducive to the commercial format (though it certainly has it's place). I'm particularly fond of songs that extol the joys and pains of love/romance, and songs that are inspirational and highly emotive. "Popcorn" and overtly sexual music is a complete turn-off. I have learned that in order to write a good lyric that people can relate to, you really must have some life experience....good or bad. It's much harder to justify your lyrics when they're based purely on how you may think a particular situation will make you feel. If you can, than you're a rare exception...and BIG props to you! So I'll offer a piece of advice now to those who may read this and may be asking yourself how to become a better writer; LIVE your life, FEEL the joy and pain, and...most importantly...LEARN from that experience. When you do, it will come to you naturally and you'll find that people will be much more receptive to your music. The hard lessons you survive will be your biggest source of inspiration when you put pen to paper later on. Plus it's some of the best free therapy there is! LOL

So in closing, I look forward to actively and constructively participating in this forum and any constructive advice or criticism will be greatly appreciated. I've learned to toughen my skin more so than in the past and I know that this is what I was meant to do with my life. :-)

Happy writing!

J'