Your Ad Could Be Here

I'm In A Tricky Situation Here...read

I want to be a performing-quality vocalist but dont have the money or time to see a vocal coach for months on end. I'd like to know how specifically I could get this accomplished from the comfort of my own home. I have a life to live as a musician and I dont want to sound like a nightmare onstage so ANY helpful advice you may have is immensely appreciated.

Karaoke. Seriously. Learn a song you have on CD, or from Youtube (you get the idea), then record yourself, preferably with the instrumental, and compare.

Besides the obvious benefits of taking lessons, an experienced teacher will show you how to take care of your voice. You may have a tendency to over-practice, or push things too far trying to get a particular sound without properly learning the technique for it. Food for thought.

SongStuff contributor Cheryl Hodge has some good articles... http://vocals.songstuff.com/article/good_vocal_technique for example, and also some good info on her site: http://www.cherylhodge.com

I concur with the above.

A cautionary tale. I once had a very talented but untrained singer who didn't take the time to develop and take care of her voice. She developed polyps had to have surgery and never sang again.

Vocal lessons are more affordable then the alternatives. Those being less of the singer you want to be and the possiblitiy of damage due to improper technique.

Hmm.

Well, there are plenty of online resources out there, including videos and articles that may help you to improve. But can I make an earnest request? Please, please, PLEASE go to lots of different sources, try out conflicting theories and see what works for you personally - if it hurts, if it disagrees with your fundamental idea of what is healthy for you, don't do it. I take vocal lessons and coachings through my university and some of the "advice" that I see on the internet, in comparison to what I learn from qualified teachers, seems downright dangerous.

To be honest, I think that if you want to work as a musician you need to also recognise that it actually is like any other job - if you're really interested in making good money out of it, you'll make the initial investments of time and practice, but also perhaps money. So don't necessarily reject the idea of vocal tuition straight away; it can save you a lot of time and even your vocal health.

• Like 1