Your Ad Could Be Here

Boss / Rowland HD recorders

HI Rudi

I have a V-Xpanded VS880. Basically this is the VS880 with the FX expansion.

Pros: Firstly it's pretty versatile, and after you've digested a few concepts it's pretty easy to use. The quality and portability are what makes it though. The fact that you can sync it up with your sequencer really helps, especially as this means you can effectively have 12 tracks at mix down (8 recorded plus 4 from the inputs). The FX are also really good, and versatile,

Cons: The VS880 doesn't use mike xlr or phantom power. The screen is very small and not backlit. Only 1 aux and only 4 inputs at a time. These issues are all addressed in the later models.

The big bug bear for me was that in order to use the external scsi cdrom writer you had to buy the Roland approved CDROM drive which was a quarter the price of the unit (as an addon). So I just mixed down onto my PC and used it's cd writer.

To me the overall package was very worth the money.

If you have any specific questions just post back.

Cheers

John

Hi Rudi

XLR is a connection type like a jack plug. You'll have used these kind of 3 pin connectors on mike leads all the time.

Phantom power is normally a 48v power supply used to supplly microphones that don't have a battery. Some desks have phantom power, or you can get a stand alone phantom power unit.

If you're serious about a VS as a second hand purchase get a VS1680 or above. This has all the improvements I mentioned above.

Cheers

John

John,

I see. Makes perfect sense now, thanks.

Well I'm going to check out the spec of the current models and cast around to see what the 2nd hand availability is like. Could be a while before I commit though, - have to either save or ram-raid the villiage Post Office on pension day. :)

atb Rudi

Do you concider the mastering capabilities of the VS-880 (& VS1680) adaquate on thier own?

Hey Dude

A friend of mine bought a VS880. We did quite a few tracks on that. It was all a bit complicated for me, but eventually Phil mastered it! The quality was equal to anytyhing we later did with the PC. If you are interested, it may be for sale? (I would have to check that first mind you) Personaly I prefer the visual presence of the PC. You can actualy see what you're doing wrong.....Give me a bell and we'll talk.

• 1 month later...

Hey Rudi

Did you ever get a VS?

Sorry to not reply about the mastering capability. To be honest it might be a little restrictive, but I always mastered on my PC. i.e. record on the VS, mix down to PC and then master. It added to the versatility of the system.

Cheers

John

John,

No. Too many expenses! Will be sometime after Christmas I expect. I'm looking over specs of newer gear now. I get mags & flyers from Rowland a couple of times a year. Im due one about now I think.

Steve thinks I should persevere with the PC, but I find it too frustrating to work with.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Steve. Ive just had a butchers and there is lots of lovely gear there apart from the zoom model you saw. No reviews but good for a price check! I still fancy the Boss BR1180 though.

If money was no object Id buy a ROLAND VS2400. But thats not true, Id go to a studio and pay an engineer to do it all for me.  :P