Your Ad Could Be Here

Home-made maracas!

Following the instructions given at:

http://azaz.essortment.com/musicalinstrume_rhvf.htm

MARACAS  

There are a whole variety of sounds that can come from homemade maracas. Try using different types of containers and noisemakers inside to get some different sounds. Here are some suggestions:  

Containers:  

- Two Dixie cups taped together at the rims  

- Empty water bottle  

- Empty milk bottle  

- Film canister  

Fillers:  

- Rice  

- Beads  

- Sand  

- Pebbles  

- Dried peas  

Experiment with the different fillers until you find one just right. Also, remember to put different amounts of fillers into your maracas, you will get different sounds.  

Milk bottles don't exist anymore in Canada, so I too milk cartons. The article recommended dried peas, which I didn't have either. So I took frozen peas from the refrigirator. At first, the instrument made an interesting sound; I enjoyed it thoroughly for about an hour and a half. Then, the phone rang and I completely forgot about my new musical instrument for a few days (it lay in the corner of the kitchen). During the week-end, feeling bored, I was drawn to the kitchen by a disagreable odour. It was the milk carton maracas. At first I was happy to see it again, looking forward to hours of musical fun. However, the peas had rotten. And the Milk carton... which I had not cleansed, smelled pretty bad.

Conclusion: don't buy this instrument, even if you're into music.

• 1 month later...