Your Ad Could Be Here

Need Some Direction

DonniexSmith

• Noob

I want to start the piano and im not sure exactly where to go from where i am. I know where the notes are and I take music theory in school so i know about majors, melodic/harmonic/natural scales and im not sure where to go from here. Do I just print some music and start playing? Also, what is the best piano to learn on? I don’t mind purchasing a piano but I do not need anything brand new or extravagant. Thanks

Well, I always advise taking lessons from a teacher. Especially in the beginning. You may understand the basics of notation but I can assure you there are things about notation that make all the difference in figuring out songs of which you wouldn't know without a good teacher. As well much of any instrument is technique. If you use the wrong technique both your hands and playing will suffer. A teacher is someone who looks over you and corrects your technique so you play better. You can't get that type of interactivity with a book or a video. Another asset of having a teacher is it helps to focus your goals and gives you a path to achieving them. Today you want to play piano, tomorrow you want to play video games. With a teacher you want to play everyday because next week you'll have a lesson and your teacher is going to want to know what you've accomplished in your week of practice. It's a positive re enforcer,

When you look for a teacher be specific about your goals.

Do you want to play in a particular style?

While many styles carry similar ideas some approaches are best suited for a specific style. If you are into country look for someone to teach you country. You'll learn a lot of basic stuff that works with other styles but it will be centric with your goal. Jazz is a very different idiom then blues or rock or country. Don't study jazz if your heart is somewhere else.

Do you want to study notation?

There are a great number of teachers who teach without notation. They focus on things like ear training. Ear training is important whether you read music or not but.....It's more important when you don't have notation to work with.

Do you want to study songs?

If you want to specifically study songs then this is something the teacher should know. Some teachers teach by route. You do lots of exercises to build up skills but you never hear/see the meaning in a musical context. Having strong technique is important. Having that techique apply to something you want to play can also be important. Some teachers only teach for the song or the lick. Some only teach for the technique. And some teach for theory. You need all three. Theory gives you a game plan if you want to create your own music. Music theories vary according to style. So it's kind of important that a teacher be able to pass on a theory which is applicable to the style of music you want to play.

Sticking with it.

When you make the decision to play it could take longer then expected to reach your goal. One thing to shorten the road is being consistent with your style / approach especially in the first year. It gives you a point to come from and or go to. If you try to do everything all at once you'll never develop the confidence and techique because you'll always be stumbling on something new rather then working through one thing.

About keyboards.

I like the super expensive stuff, I can't afford it.

I belong to this other forum for musicians. Every few days a new topic comes up asking for the cheapest midi controller keyboard on the market. And every week someone asks why do all keyboard controllers suck. Well they don't. The market meaning people who buy the stuff determine what sells and what doesn't. If everyone wants only the cheapest they can get then keyboard makers will have to cheapen the quaility of the stuff they sell. Money makes the world go round. If people bought more quality keyboards the price would drop because of volume of sales. Most people don't. When they find a crappy keybed that breaks or doesn't work right they go out and buy another crappy keyboard. If you want to play music for life and not have to constantly replace your keyboard it's a good idea to spend more money for quality because it will last longer. And people play better on better keyboards. It's not just the sounds that are built in. It's also the response of the instrument and the player. Sometimes it's better to get a really good keyboard that's used then a really bad one that's new.

What type of keyboard?

There are two basic varieties. Controller or Built in. A controller has no internal sounds. You use it with midi to control something else that holds the sounds. Like a computer. There are great sounds both free and pay on the web. And if your keyboard breaks or something else happens you can still have the sounds and only replace the controller.

When a keyboard with built in sounds breaks you lose both. And when you buy a keyboard with built in sounds you can never get new sounds for it. So you'd better love the sounds you got. Now here is the flipside. Quality. Most Controller keyboards are cheap quality. You'll have to spend a lot of money for a quality keyboard controller. On the otherhand there are some really good quality keyboards for a little more money new and used. As well. Both types controller or "workstation" type keyboards can be used with midi.

So even if you get a 10 or 15 year old high quality "workstation" you'll have something that plays well and can make the most of what computer technology has to offer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...