Your Ad Could Be Here

Mp's Lyric Journal

Man, I don't know. I go back and review my lyrics and I have to admit...i don't like them. I want to say I hate them but that seems too harsh. I don't know what it is. My writing is lacking something, besides my admiration. i get the structure, I understand rhyme scheme, I try to put combinations of sounds together, tell a story, stay consistant, use metaphores, choose interesting words and titles but in the end, they're crap.

Blue shades of silver and orange hues of gold

Tie together pages of my dream

So I start with a visual, something out of the ordinary, use subtle sounds and internal rhyme, even throw the word orange in there. It look promising so far, first line done. But what do I want to say? Do I want to write AABA, VCVCBC? What about rhyme scheme? Do I have a plan or am I flying by the seat of my pants? Usually it's the latter. (And I'm already rethinking line 2).

The other thing is, how much attention can I actually give this right now. Am I in a setting conducive to creativity? How well am I prepared? Do I have my rhyming dictionary and lists of adjectives around, what about paper, pencil, ERASER?

Seems I've gotten away from some of the basic tools I once used, back when I could be happy with something I wrote.

Then again, my problem with my lyrics is more a matter of style, and language. I just don't like how they come off.

This rut is deep and dirty.

Peace

Tom

Edited by McnaughtonPark

This morning, while listening to a song over in that forum, I came to realize that my problem may be one of originality. I think I'm tired of writing and reading the same old shit. I have an originality problem with an old way of thinking on how to solve it.

All I can think to do is to keep writing, but I can hardly stand to do it because I do not like what comes out. But....all I know how to do is to keep writing.

I guess i'm starting this journal as a means to dig into the problem. A written thought exploration. Perhaps reading up on new bands would help, but honestly, I don't like their lyrics as much as I like their melodies.

Perhaps my problem lies in my ability to accept my limitations.

Ugh, what a mess. Probably need to post some lyrics here instead of the critique forum as I realize I probably just wasted everyones time for nothing.

You know, I remember writing some really weird lyrics in the past that felt more like they were written to shake something loose inside than they were for songs.

And, I also realized that while beginning the guitar, I'm trying new things. There is a connection with the guitar, but it is a small one. I struggle with learning chords and playing a song.

Yowsa, gotta break thru this.

Gave a go at rewriting that lyric, felt better about it all the while knowing it wasn't anything new. I want new to groove me but it don't even know i exist.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

How is your rut going..?  New idea for a song.. The Rut!  ;)  Lol.  I'm just a baby hatchling.. I've only written three songs and they are embarrassing so don't feel so bad.  Notice the good things and grow on that.  New advice for myself.  There is a really cool book called the Frustrated Songwriter's Handbook.. they have a lot of ideas how to shake yourself loose.. I vow to try it sometime. :)