Your Ad Could Be Here

Pulling My Hair Out For A Reasonable Sound Library

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a solid user friendly sample based library. Something with bread and butter sounds on par or at least close to a Kurzweil PC3

Notice how all the presets resemble "famous sounds" I can't even get something close in the virtual domain. Although the proteus VX comes fairly close. The problem is the proteus doesn't want to play nice with any of my daw's and is a pain to organize.

Suggestions welcome.

pc3's usually over 2 grand and pck's are close to three grand. They are the "Go To" instrument for local keyboard players.

I finally opted for WusikStation. Though it's a lot of work as it's more a sampler/wav shaper then a rompler. It's sort of like a korg wavestation except you can import the sounds and manipulate them much more. Kind of like building the guitar of your dreams as opposed to buying it off the shelf. My main problem will be maintaining the ambition and findiing the parts.

Just as a persay. instruments sound different at different velocities. It's not just volume. If you sample a keyboard first you have to sample in every octave so it doesn't break down on the low end. Then you have to resample for at least four (pc3 has 16 velocity layers, (Yamaha has 8 Roland and Emu have 4) for soft, medium, hard and very hard. Now go back and resample all of them again in all layers for the damper / sustain pedal as they also will sound slightly different. Then there is all the other stuff that has to be done just to capture a decent end product. Alicia's Keys..... Took world class sound engineers and designers 6 months for one piano. If I have to do that you can forget my foray into sample building.

Update.

I've been installing Wusik and it's massive. Included with the package is "Eve" which is like a three instrument mellotron with added sound scuplting. That alone is worth the price. In it are high quality samples of various classic instruments not only from the mellotron but other popular sounds of the 60's 70's ad 80's. The Vox Continental C and Fender Rhodes Bass keyboard are to die for. I can't stop playing music from the doors to explore other sounds.

sounds an interesting sound set. What sort of pricing are you talking for that library? dedicated VST or sample library for Native Instrument's Kontakt etc? I would love to get a hold of a sample set for a "string machine". I would be tempted to get a hold of one and sample it, but that then means creating all the mappings etc and to be honest I just don't have time just now.