Your Ad Could Be Here

intermediate PC recording

Well, I don't know what I don't know obviously, but I think I might have solved the clipping problem (if that's what you are referring to) just by paying more attention to input levels. Also, I doubt I'm going to get great quality recording onto a laptop. All I'm saying here is that what I describe CAN be done, even if it's not studio quality.

But with better gear overall I'm sure your advice is spot on  :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep - a mixer, or some sort of control over the input is essensial. My next setup will be based on a laptop (albeit high-end) and I expect an increase - not decrease in performance.

Yep - a mixer, or some sort of control over the input is essensial.  My next setup will be based on a laptop (albeit high-end) and I expect an increase - not decrease in performance.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So it's a mixer in addition to the mixer in the software (my software is basically a mixing desk)?

So it's a mixer in addition to the mixer in the software (my software is basically a mixing desk)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes - the thing is, you want the optimal input into your computer. So some sort of controlling the level in is neccesary. If you have a too low level into your soundcard and then boost the input in your software, you will get all the noise that is in the analog headroom; To illustrate:

Low analog signal (S=signal, N=noise):

S

S

SNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

SNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

High analog signal (same)

S

S

S

S

S

S

SNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

SNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Now what you get in, you boost - right? So if you get a low signal in, you also boost the noise. Solution: High volume early on in the chain. With a mixer you can balance this effectively.

Also. The mic input was specifically designed to take a headset type mic. It was never designed for anything else. I think it has a 20db boost but the quality of the signal is crap. You should use the line in for any recording. To get the most out of this, some kind of mixer is almost essential. When I first started using the PC to record, I used my old 4 track cassette recorder as the mixer. You could also use something like a hi-Fi amp! But anything you plug in should go into the LINE IN. Finn hit the nail on the head when he says get the best signal you can into the computer. The software mixer is great for mixing once you have recorded the track. You shouldn't need to boost the volume of any recorded track to any great extent.

OK, now I've got it. Any recommendations for mixers?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Behringer makes good, inexpensive mixers. I have the Eurorack 1622 FX-Pro which I'm very happy with. Depending on your requirements, I'd suggest something between that and the UB802. It's practical to have things hooked up constantly, so I like more channels. Then I can have 2 mics - my guitars, synth, and return from the computer all on the mixer. You use the bus system to select what you record. You can route any of the channels to a bus output (even on the UB 802!), so by connecting the bus output to your computer input you get a very flexible system. (Just don't route the output from your computer back in again 8-) )

Some links:

The UB802

The 1622