Your Ad Could Be Here

New Member Introduction

tobiasthomhave

• Noob

Hello folks, nice to join this community, I've been writing and travelling for the last 13 years and mostly playing originals on the streets and cafes or covers in bars. Do any of you have a good idea of what kind of work I could apply for that doesn't require education and might give me time to still write songs? I write every day and am very picky and slow about creating songs, I don't get paid in money for this at all anywhere and after years of experience I rarely play out anymore. I've tried a lot playing covers but it sucks out my inspiration completely. I'm also really lazy and bad at networking, socializing and all that stuff that comes with the business these days, that's why I'm asking. Maybe there is some line of work where you can still have a pen or a dicta-phone and get your ideas down when they arrive? Or some line of work that would be inspiring for a songwriter? It just feels a bit sad having to take away all the creativity time but I'm now 35 and feel like perhaps I should develop some kind of stability. I really don't want to, I would love to just write songs and prose all day, but theses days it seems impossible for someone like me. Appreciate any advice and if you feel like listening to my music for a better answer it's right here: www.tobiasthomhave.com Thank you and see you around in here! :)

Saddly if you are now well known you may well have to support yourself by other means until such times as your songs are pulling in sufficient income to allow you a choice.

You could diversify into doing music for other purposes, such as corporate music, TV and Film, advertising. Each are has it's competitors and it's idiosyncrasies.

Unfortunately simply living as an artistic being is not seen as a vocation by the public just now. More something we are somehow meant to create in our spare time for the enjoyment of everyone else. Sad but true. To live as close to an full-time artistic life as possible we now need to be business men too. Or as Tom suggested, another means is needed to fund artistic pursuits, ie a job.

Making a living as a musician / songwriter is still very possible, it just needs new tools and know-how, determination, and as few dependances as possible. Oh and a shed load of hard work. And a patient (if hungry) family.

Not knowing where you are based I can't suggest much passed a lot of hard work. Have you ever registered your songs / yourself with professional bodies? Certainly the main stay for Songwriters is income from performance royalties, mechanical royalties (songwriter's share) and synch fees. If you or your songs aren't registered you get no money other than what you sell directly.

In the UK, for example, venues, broadcasters etc pay money to PRS for the right to play music. That money is then divided up between their membership based on extimations.... however if you are registered for PRS and you inform them that you played x number of songs at the venue, then you get paid specific money from that specific venues' fees. Even when they paid you play!

If you have a back catalog, and you are prepared to work it, then homework on anyone and everyone who would be interested in your material, including other artists perorfming a cover, is an absolute must.

I hope some of that gives you some ideas.

• Noob

Thanks a lot you guys, I appreciate it. Someone suggested transport, like driving long distance, perhaps as a truck driver, I'd have to get an education though. You're alone in the car/truck and can record what ever you want and how ever you want into a Dictaphone. And then work with the instrument as you are off. I guess that's a pretty good idea, better than waiting tables for sure. And about originals I guess I gotta get off my ass and get out there more again and remember it's not for the money anyway we do this

• Noob

Always refreshing to hear that someone in their mid-30's...who plays in bars & on street-corners for free, with limited education & no readily marketable skills or training.....thinks they're too good to consider waiting tables! :blush:

I wish you luck with your search!

Tom

I'll give you some free advice, cause you gave me such a warm welcome and I'm in a good mood;)

Life is more rewarding when you're not so quick to judge and much more fulfilling when you come to realize education and age means very little compared to what really does. I'm not too good for any job, neither is anybody else, but thankfully we have the right to an opinion of which line of work would suit us better.