Your Ad Could Be Here

Copyright

rogersbaddeley

• Noob

I am a fashion designer and am looking at putting famous lyrics both current and down through the ages to art.

My question is threefold 1. does this breach copyright. 2. if I pu the name of the band on the artwork does the copyright change from 1. and 3 if it is a breach of copyright how the heck can I get approval to do this- who, where and what do I have to do to get approval.

I hope someone can answer this.

Thanks,

Roger.

Answers

1. Yes it breaches copyright

2. No it still breaches copyright.

3. You contact the copyright owner, and that is

usually the publisher. The copyright owner of a song is normally displayed in music credits. You can perhaps contact the writer as they often own moral rights ( in countries that recognize moral rights). You may need the permission of both writer(s) and publisher

Better to get permission upfront as after the fact they can be quite unforgiving.