Your Ad Could Be Here

Films And Music & Music In Films

Rudi

TapperMike said (on motivation thread)

I just wanted to add....

Nothing gets me quite as pumped up as watching a good action/adventure movie or show....So long as it has an upbeat ending where the good guy wins.

This is good stuff.

Why is it good?

Because its seldom discussed and we need to understand whatever we can about motivation.

I dont get inspired to play as Mike does during/after an action movie,

but...

certain films have music in them that works brilliantly and these can inspire me.

Sometimes I dont need to watch the movie, just think of the music (and the scenes). I may not end up creating anything, but just get a good workout.

If I do create something, it will likely finish up very different from the music that inspired it. What is odd though, is that what I make can still invoke the film imagery.

The films that have inspiring music (for me) can be any subject or mood. I sometimes choose to watch a DVD just because of the way the music works in it.

OK examples of such films that do it for me are:

Night of the Hunter - old B&W thriller with Robert Mitchum as a monsterous con man. The little girls song in the boat is strange & other-worldly. Mitchum's rendition of 'Leaning on the Everlasting Arms' as he passes the children's bedroom is oddly beautiful.

Crocodile Dundee - Yes, really! The lovely theme as Dundee sees off the kangaroo hunters is so well placed. Its reprised when he kills the croc. Other incidental music is very good too. Even the main themes transition from bushmans music to the recognisable tune is very well crafted.

The Untouchables. - The opening 'hunting' stabs as Robert DeNiro is shaved (viewed from overhead) is a great intro. The theme played as Ness meets the murdered little girl's mother is heartbreaking.

• Like 1

Ya know..... Jan Hammer would get footage for Miami Vice without the sound. So he'd watch it without actually knowing what was being said/what the story was about.

Interesting. I can understand why, to an extent. So he didn't even use an episode brief?

Thanks goodnes for the woman I don't have a girlfriend wife. When I'm watching tv I'll always have a guitar nearby. and I'll try to figure out the background music not to mention the commercials.

A funny thing about commercials. Sometimes they pay for hit songs, Sometimes they pay for songs that become hits and sometimes they try to steal idea's from hit songs in a way as not to be caught.

I don't know how much Chase paid for "Footloose" Loggins was screwed on the movie remake and may as well have been screwed on the credit card remake