Your Ad Could Be Here

Too Dark? Too Emo?

I have kind of an emo personality and often it shows in my writing, especially when it comes to lyrics. I'm not trying to get any sympathy or anything, but I have struggled with self harm all my life. I would really like to write a song about it, but the only songs I can think of about self harm have been so "emo" that they're a joke. I'm just wondering what you guys think on the subject. Are there any ways you can advise me to write about the subject without it being cheesey?

It's art! It's subjective! :D

If your struggles are what inspire you, then write about them. However, if you're not satisfied with your lyrics, then I recommend that you visit the lyric critique forum.

Thank you! I will post the lyrics in the Lyric Critique forum eventually, I just don't have anything worth posting yet and wanted to get a second opinion beforehand.

I can promise you.. You Are NOT alone most of my lyrics have to do with that and I think I've figured out ways around the emo nonsense

I read a few of your lyrics, and I must say, they are completely wonderful and you have managed to change my mind about those kind of lyrics. I have always written about it in a journal, but now I'm convinced I can let some of it out for the public eye. Thank you!

A lot of emo is not nonsense. We as humans have a wide variety of emotions and some are often supressed. Music give voice to our thoughts and feelings that we may not be able to express otherwise.

How you deliver the message is just as important as the message itself. Listen to Pink Floyd there is a lot of turbulence and despair.