Your Ad Could Be Here

Writing A Good Drum Part For 3/4 Time?

I'm working on my first CD of all-original home-recorded material. I'm passable on all the instruments except drums. Very newbie there. Much to my surprise, my first song for this project just happened to be in 3/4 time. Can't question the muse. Anyway I'm trying to think of good ideas for the drum track that don't sound like a waltz. My style is probably alt-rock. No histronics but definitely aiming for a lot of feeling in the performance. Songs I admire always have a little something special from each musician, so I'm looking for the drum to be more active than simple timekeeping, without drawing attention from the lyrics etc. Any tips here? I've tried my own experimentation but the 3/4 thing has me a bit befuddled.

I know what you mean.

Could it work in 6/8 instead? There are more modern examples of this about I think.

The challenge of 3/4 could be fun. What about an accent on the 2nd? Weird maybe but might have posibilities?

I will Google around for 6/4 examples.