Your Ad Could Be Here

How Can I Become A Good Singer?

I opened my mouth and simply starting making noise.  It took me a year to find my limits and stabalize my voice but I'm very pleased with the result. My best advice when rehearsing in private is to sing as loud (within reason) as possible.  At least sing louder than you would on stage.  When you do that it's like shaking out the cobwebs so when you perform it'll be less of an effort to be heard.

If you want to become a good singer just practice. The voice is just like any other muscle in the body, work it out and learn your limits.

When I started, I just started off singing along to songs I like trying to mimic the singers voice until I eventually developed my own voice. It also helps out if you know how to play some sort of instrument. That way you can sing in tune with it or harmonize with it.

Unless you're gifted with a godly voice, it's going to take a long time. It took me about a year or more. I'm not professional nor do I have the best voice out there, but I know I'm listenable and that all I really aim for.

If you want to learn how to become a professional singer, the obvious course of action would be to find a teacher and take classes.

• Like 1

If you want to become a good singer just practice. The voice is just like any other muscle in the body, work it out and learn your limits.

When I started, I just started off singing along to songs I like trying to mimic the singers voice until I eventually developed my own voice. It also helps out if you know how to play some sort of instrument. That way you can sing in tune with it or harmonize with it.

Unless you're gifted with a godly voice, it's going to take a long time. It took me about a year or more. I'm not professional nor do I have the best voice out there, but I know I'm listenable and that all I really aim for.

If you want to learn how to become a professional singer, the obvious course of action would be to find a teacher and take classes.

I came here to say exactly this, even the mimic songs part which is pretty weird. That means we should probably do a duet right?

• Like 1

Hi!

Well if you're looking for advice right here and right now instead of going out and looking for books or teachers, this may help.

The first thing that my teacher always tell me is the the breathing and support of your singing is always key because it is the backbone of your singing. So before you sing anything I would do some really good breathing exercises and make sure you're breathing correctly and with good support throughout your singing, and not just when you're warming up.

Second thing I would do is try to see what your range is just because I feel like that's important. Just go to a piano and play a single note, match it with your voice, and see where on the piano, high and low, you cannot sing any higher or lower. This will give you a good idea of your current abilities and maybe your goals for the future.

Then I would focus on hitting notes and tuning dead on so you're not pitchy and all over the place. You basically have to train your ear which is difficult but all you have to do is just take the piano and practice playing notes, riffs, and melodies on the piano, easy and hard ones, and make sure you hit all of the notes. If the note sounds right to your ears, get a tuner and check because your ears may not be right.

Other than that all I can tell you is to really get a teacher or a book or something official to help you. Also, focus on the breathing that I was talking about because with proper breathing and support at all times, you will be more in tune, will be able to hit higher and lower notes, and your tone will be better.

I really hope that I helped in some way!

Mary

Well, I guess it depends on what type of music you're trying to do, and what you WANT your voice to convey. There are a plethora of different ways to sing, and the thought that there's only ONE way to do it or that everyone will like what you do is ludicrous. I don't claim to be a singer myself, but I do understand that certain voices work better with certain genres and others don't. Some people hate how Thom Yorke sings, but for me personally I love it. Just...do what sounds right and feels right...and of course...practice.

Hey HoboSage, I'm gonna get me one of those :) Does it have a volume switch? And settings for certain functions? I'd go MJ for singing, Sir David Attenborough for speaking, and Barry White for when I wanna get close with my lady.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be stoked to have a rough and gravelly sound like Kris Krisofferson. I know he has limited range, and limited singing ability, but I have to aspire to something, right?

Maybe I should start smoking cigars and drinking cheap bourbon.... hey, I'm halfway there!

Kel