Your Ad Could Be Here

Cover Songs

I am new here so forgive me if this has been tried before, but I was thinking it might be useful to try new and original arrangements of previously recorded material. For the sake of learning arrangement techniques we could record our own covers of songs we love but with our own take on them. This could be a contest or if the interest is there it might be its own forum.

Thoughts?

It could.   I love the tradition passed down by Blues and Jazz regarding interpretations of pieces.  Youtube is already about that where one can learn interpretations of existing material via various styles.  And to be frank a better energy would be put to use examining a particular style yourself within the framework of the material already existing.  I've seen most of the Sungha Jung http://www.youtube.com/user/jwcfree videos and while I enjoy his performances I don't play anymore like him as a result.

While applying different styles can be used as a catalyst to improve technique and raw inspiration from.  Usually the best way is to apply what you already know in your own technique and build from there.  I'm kind of sure he does the same as I rarely see him play octave licks or 13th chords, which would be the hallmark of some other players.

Edited by TapperMike

Sorry, legal issues never crossed my mind. I just thought it would be interesting to look at arrangements that way.

TapperMike, good advice- thanks!

I totally get what you are saying, and you are probably right (I will let the topic go) however I would be thrilled beyond belief if someone ripped apart one of my songs and posted it to the world, even if he made money and I got nothing. It just goes to show how we are all at different places in our musical careers with different expectations and goals.

Yikes, i guess my attempt to complement you did not work. I decided to drop the subject because after hearing your convincing points against the idea I realized you were right and my idea was not going to work. I do not feel the need to pursue it with John PM.

You are obviously way ahead of me in many ways, more dedicated and more serious, and I admire that. I am sorry if you took offense to anything I said.