Your Ad Could Be Here

Feedback Wanted On My Vocals!

Hi Dan,

I'm no vocal coach, and have just completed a series of 10 lessons face to face with a teacher and it has helped me a lot.

The first thing I would offer is to sing with volume... don't sing directly into your mic unless you needed a second mortgage to afford it.

Stand or at least sit up straight. Tilt you head back slightly to open up the pipes. Don't be afraid to use volume. Hitting the notes correctly, relies on the wind from your diaphragm and trying to restrain the volume is counter productive.

Practice scales, paying particular attention to opening your mouth to ridiculous levels to create a resonating chamber that produces good tone. I am assured we can scale that back during performances some.

Doing scales will also strengthen your voice and extend your range. 

Warm up prior to recording.

Have room temperature water available and lubricate with it.

"Get into it" my teacher said when I did this everything (meaning my pitch, my timing, my diction, my breathing) was just "better".

These are fairly generic things any singer can do to improve, and as I said, I'm no vocal coach, or singer of renown nor ability, I joke my lessons have taken me from horrible to awful, but practice is the key, and practicing properly.  

Specifically your diction isn't what it could be, with words slurring into each other and yes, proper breathing will help, as will concentrating on singing every note separately rather than sliding from one to the other. Your pitch seems good, but better ears than mine will guide you better I think. Slow songs are harder to pull off than moderately paced or faster, so you've done pretty well in my books.

Cheers,

Kel