Your Ad Could Be Here

How Are Songwriting Credits Decided?

Hi, my question is somewhat naive, as I know nothing about the music industry, but I'm curious as to how songwriting credits are decided.

For instance, is a songwriter given a credit if they have only created the lyrics and the melody, or just the chords and song structure etc.?

If a session musician contributes an essential rhythm or bassline are they to be given a credit on the song also, or does it have more to do with the label deciding with the primary writer(s) who "created" the song?

Thanks for any answers.

Edited by White Soul Black Heart

Hi,

The melody and words are the bits that can be copyrighted. That is the song, in essence.

Chords, instrumentation etc fall into the category of "arrangement".

For example, another band come along with a completely new arrangement of the song, using the same essential melody and words but everything else is different.

Chords are the difficult part. Strictly speaking they could be a part of a copyright, but copyright itself is intended to cover what is original in the work. Words and melody can easily be deemed original enough to warrant this, but very rarely is a chord progression original enough, so generally they are not part of the copyright claim,.

Bands tend to claim the arrangement, while the songwriter claims the song itself.