Your Ad Could Be Here

Working with MIDI files compressed into 1 channel

• Noob

My first post, after I searched on 'compress MIDI' and 'expand MIDI'. These are probably not the right terms for what I am trying to do.

I am a bass player, and I want to download MIDI files of songs that I am trying to learn. I have a copy of Cubase SE, and I can download most files, import them into Cubase, display the bass part in score, learn it and then mute it while I play along: - so far so good.

My problem is that every so often, I find a MIDI file that has been 'bounced' onto one channel. My sound card still plays the various instruments, but I cannot get into the file to pull out the bass lines etc. I have three questions -

1. What is this packing/unpacking process called?

2. Can Cubase SE actually do this, because the closest I have come so far is to use a win3.1 version of Winjammer, which unpacks some files, but not all?

3. If I need it, is there a Utility that will unpack one-channel MIDI files, and if so, where can I get it?

My first post, after I searched on 'compress MIDI' and 'expand MIDI'. These are probably not the right terms for what I am trying to do.

I am a bass player, and I want to download MIDI files of songs that I am trying to learn. I have a copy of Cubase SE, and I can download most files, import them into Cubase, display the bass part in score, learn it and then mute it while I play along: - so far so good.

My problem is that every so often, I find a MIDI file that has been 'bounced' onto one channel. My sound card still plays the various instruments, but I cannot get into the file to pull out the bass lines etc. I have three questions -

1.  What is this packing/unpacking process called?

2. Can Cubase SE actually do this, because the closest I have come so far is to use a win3.1 version of Winjammer, which unpacks some files, but not all?

3.  If I need it, is there a Utility that will unpack one-channel MIDI files, and if so, where can I get it?

Hey

Welcome to Songstuff!

Not sure about Cubase, sorry. Maybe BS or Davlan can make a suggestion.

Cheers

John

Hi,

I think that should be "merge MIDI tracks", and perhaps "unmerge MIDI tracks".

In those "compressed files", all the MIDI channels are in the same track.

1.  What is this packing/unpacking process called?

"Packing" is called merge. "Unpacking" should be something like "unmerge" or "split MIDI channels".

But in fact, in your case, I guess it's because you have either "format 1" music files (multitrack) or "format 0" files (every notes inside a single track).

See here for an explanation:

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefin...i213649,00.html

I don't have Cubase, but I'm pretty sure it can do it.

Otherwise, if you can't do it from within Cubase, there are numerous utilities available. Search for "convert MIDI file format 0 1".

Example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=c...0+1&btnG=Search

Didier

• Noob
Hi,

I think that should be "merge MIDI tracks", and perhaps "unmerge MIDI tracks".

In those "compressed files", all the MIDI channels are in the same track.

"Packing" is called merge. "Unpacking" should be something like "unmerge" or "split MIDI channels".

But in fact, in your case, I guess it's because you have either "format 1" music files (multitrack) or "format 0" files (every notes inside a single track).

See here for an explanation:

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/sDefin...i213649,00.html

I don't have Cubase, but I'm pretty sure it can do it.

Otherwise, if you can't do it from within Cubase, there are numerous utilities available. Search for "convert MIDI file format 0 1".

Example:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=c...0+1&btnG=Search

Didier

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, - I'll report back if/when I find out how Cubase SE does it.

• Noob

Yes, Cubase SE will convert fomat 0 files to format 1.

You import MIDI files as they come, and Cubase loads and displays them.

If you select the format 0 track, and select [MIDI], [disolve], it will un-merge the track for you.

Thanks again for your input - it's so much easier to look up a help file when you know the name of the thing you are looking for!

Yes, Cubase SE will convert fomat 0 files to format 1.

You import MIDI files as they come, and Cubase loads and displays them.

If you select the format 0 track, and select [MIDI], [disolve],

So, it is "disolve" in Cubase. Those Germans... :)

Thanks again for your input - it's so much easier to look up a help file when you know the name of the thing you are looking for!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for your report.

It's always nice to know a reply has been useful.

Didier