Your Ad Could Be Here

Cheapish Edm Software

I have some things I plan on selling to get better equipment, I've already picked out a cheap bass I'm going to get in place of my hellcat, and I plan on getting EZ Drummer and Guitar Rig 5.  I think a big part of my problem is that my sounds are crap.  And it's funny cause I felt like that was just a cop out, and maybe if I was amazingly talented at production it would be, but I don't have the skills to be tweaking everything like crazy to make it fit, I need sounds that will fit more or less upon entrance into the sound spectrum with minor tweaks necessary, not like what I have where it's just complete tinny BS until I've butchered it's original tone.  

I will have around 1 or 200 bucks left over after I sell two guitars and an old mixing board and some speakers of mine and get these things, and thought it would be perfect if I were to get software that allowed me to create sounds like the ones they make in EDM.  Clearly I'm not techno or dubstep dude, but just having the capability to use some loops and synths that are in that style would help modernize my sound, plus it would be highly unusual since my writing is so classic rock.  

So does anyone know of a program that will give me some real bang for my buck?  Preferably closer to $100 than $200?

That looks PERFECT, thanks!

It supports VST too.   :)

Woo hoo!  I hope I can get these things sold soon I'm so anxious to see what possibilities it opens up!!!  

Can't really go wrong with Mixcraft, but don't rule out Ableton which is a massively powerful program albeit slightly more than you want to spend. At least for the Standard version

• Like 1

Can't really go wrong with Mixcraft, but don't rule out Ableton which is a massively powerful program albeit slightly more than you want to spend. At least for the Standard version

Do you think it would be better than Mixcraft?  I could sell my stuff and get the other items I want first and then see how much is left over and if it's truly that much better hope I can get it instead, but I'd only wanna do that if it was really better enough to be worth it.  

Two different monsters really...one is more loop oriented with audio capabilities, the other a DAW with looping capabilities. That said when my new rig is up and running my second purchase will be Ableton the first being Komplete 9 and Steinberg's Halion.

Two different monsters really...one is more loop oriented with audio capabilities, the other a DAW with looping capabilities. That said when my new rig is up and running my second purchase will be Ableton the first being Komplete 9 and Steinberg's Halion.

Sounds like Mixcraft is gonna actually serve my purpose better then, I'm more wanting a plugin to add to studio one than an entire DAW to learn.  Perhaps after I get familiarized with mixcraft and have better finances I'll re-look at ableton to expand.  

Well if you're looking for EDM stuff Ableton would be my choice...as for the learning curve its not that difficult...there are several very good tutorials at Groove3 and at Lynda.com.

It looks intimidating but once you understand the work flow it's a cinch use. Seriously!

Besides you already have a DAW in Studio One, why go for another?

Well if you're looking for EDM stuff Ableton would be my choice...as for the learning curve its not that difficult...there are several very good tutorials at Groove3 and at Lynda.com.

It looks intimidating but once you understand the work flow it's a cinch use. Seriously!

Besides you already have a DAW in Studio One, why go for another?

Wait, did I have them backwards, is Mixcraft the DAW and ableton is the plugin?  

Well Ableton is sort of a plugin (I think)...I've never used it in that context but I don't see why it couldn't be...especially if Studio One has rewire capabilities then I'm pretty sure you could patch it into your DAW if it isn't a plugin. I'll be researching this shortly but info is out there if you want to know ASAP

I stand corrected..it is a DAW / Sequencer that would have to be routed to Studio One via rewire

http://www.propellerheads.se/substance/rewirehelp/index.cfm?article=live0&fuseaction=get_article

http://www.propellerheads.se/products/reason/index.cfm?fuseaction=get_article&article=rewire

Once that's done it is essentially a plugin over many tracks

Edited by dnafe
  • Like 1

If you're using Studio One, there's no reason to get another DAW.  A DAW is just a tool.  When you write that your sounds are "crap" I don't know if you mean your songs, your plug-ins, your samples, or what.  Getting the two plug-ins you mention is cool but it's not going to guarantee "production-ready" sounds out of the box. You're still going to have to put in the time to learn to use them properly.  If you're going in an EDM direction, then why are you getting EZ Drummer?  You should get something like Breaktweaker or Geist.  For the budget-minded, pickup Poise and hunt for one-shot samples.  As far as guitar sound goes, you can get pretty good sound for free by downloading free (or semi-free, depending on your conscience) guitar heads at AcmeBarGig.  Then you can get a cabinet simulator (such as the one by LePou called LeCab -- second link in the links below, on the right on the blog once you get there). Once you have the cabinet simulator, you'll need to track down impulse files to load in it. There are a ton of them on the Internet.  If you really do have your heart set on a new DAW, then the EDM standard is pretty much FL Studio.  It would be helpful to know what you have now that is crap, what it is you are really looking for, and what you want to achieve. There are really no shortcuts.  Buying a ton of new stuff won't help improve your sound. It'll just be new stuff and you'll be that much lower in cash. Think about what you really want to achieve and then do some research to figure out the best way to get there. 

http://www.acmebargig.com/

http://lepouplugins.blogspot.com/2014/01/new-download-links.html

I must not be explaining myself well.  My apologies.  Atm you can't use 3rd party VST's with my version of studio one, I don't want to get a new DAW that's why I was trying to figure out if it was Mixcraft or Ableton that was the DAW cause I want to get the one that's just a VST plugin.  I'm not trying to make EDM music, that's why I am not trying to get drum software for EDM, I'm trying to combine the synth sounds and such of EDM music with my classic rock/grunge-ish sound, I think it would be unique and "modernize it".  And when I say my current sounds are "crap"  I should probably use better descriptive terms, they're "dated" is what they are.  They sound very... early 90's/late 80's.  The guitar sounds thing sounds highly promising, I will definitely look into that, and appreciate all your advice.  

I think he's after better sounding instruments drums, amp sims, keyboards etc - apparently Studio One's full version has a larger assortment of VSTi to choose from and that might be the place to start but eventually good quality 3rd party VSTi plugins will find their way into the VST folder.

I recently trialed Studio One and... chose mixcraft.

They both are lean smart built daws.  Mixcraft doesn't make one pay extra to use third party plugins. If you pay extra you actually get extra.

I had some problems with studio one producer where ... even though it was a trial and they said it would accept third party plugins I couldn't get them to load.

Mixcraft vs Abelton.

If your main concern is edm.  The choice is simple ... Abelton live  I've got Live Lite which comes packaged with many soundcards.  It's only limitation is the amount of tracks you can use per scene.  Abelton has always had latency issues in regards to midi input for me.  It's extremely noticiable. I've learned to compensate but I'd rather not.  Sometimes I think they add all those time correction/quantizing stuff in to make up for the fact it's so hard to get things right the first time.  Granted I don't have the worlds fastest computer but... Mixcraft is great for midi input it's also successively better (though not perfect) for audio.

If you have money to spend and have not as of yet.  I'd advise a  good soundcard first.  Usually soundcards (especially Avid / m-audio) have "limited edition" daws included like Live Lite or cubasis.   Because they are free they have a little less features but.... you don't have to worry about the trial expiring so you can get a really good run for your time / money efforts.