Your Ad Could Be Here

The Lost Songs

• Noob

Have you ever sat down and started playing and before you knew you had written a verse or two of a song? I wrote the 1st verse and part of the chorus last night and I really like what I have but now I'm stuck because I don't know what the song is supposed to be about or what story it's supposed to tell. What I have just came out all of a sudden. Has this ever happened to anyone?

• Noob

I remember hearing that a lot of Springsteen's songs were actually bits from many songs that he'd piece together into one song.  Sometimes it's like a jigsaw puzzle where I look over old lyrics and take a line from here and a line from there and somehow finally find some idea that starts to take shape, and then that actually motivates me to keep it going to writing the next part.  I'd say if you like what you have so far, even if it's just the melody or the chord pattern. then never throw it away, keep at it and see what comes from it.  Many successful tunes were written in the studio too where they just kept the tape rolling, and even a catchy guitar riff was the catalyst for the song, and they just kept at it until they had a song.