Your Ad Could Be Here

So, I've tried a few times on getting booked here in the city that I live in. So far, Ive been booked twice in a different city that's two hours from here. I've sent out e-mails, but I'm wondering if I should take a different approach or what? I have CDs that I'm sharing with others, but, maybe contacting a booking agent by e-mail isn't the best way to try to get booked. What do you think?

Thanks for your response. Are you talking about one of those talent agencies? I haven't really looked into any of those.

I'm really new to gigs and such. I was doing open mics before, but that was frustrating because I'd drive to places,and they'd either be in a shady looking area, or I couldn't be there because I'm under 21, or, the open mic just ended, OR...I never even got to play. So, I just decided to just stick to trying to get gigs, but no luck with that. No one's responded,and the couple that have just said no because I don't have a following. So, I'm left dumbfounded, thinking, "How am I to get a following without playing live?" I don't really know what to do now.

I figured that maybe if I called these booking agents, that would at least increase my chances of getting booked. So yeah, i just don't know what to do now.

If you work with a booking agency, their job and income is dependent on getting you gigs.  This has pluses and minuses aside from the fee.

The pluses are... they are probably more comfortable dealing with clubs then you are and they'll  do a really good job getting you a press pack together (even if some of the information may be ...less then honest)  The minuses are that ...well they kind of own you.  You don't get a say in where you will play.  Kid's birthdays, shotgun wedding receptions, hole in the wall hotels/motels.  Business conventions.  You may not be loved and your agent will be quite clear on what material will get you more gigs.  And many times...they aint coming to see you... you're musical wallpaper.

How are you going to get a following.....

When you play a gig come with cut outs / table tents.  Talk to everyone in the crowd before the show, during your break and after the show.  Sometimes it's called "Glad Handing" or "Pressing the Flesh" (shaking hands)  Get them to like you for liking them back.  If you don't have a next gig lined up somewhere local to them... Tell them that your playing out of town or that your taking a break after a lot of touring and working on some new stuff that will be released on your next CD. Until then you want to clear any events to concentrate on your new music.

If you're a solo acoustic artist you might want to consider approaching a folk, bluegrass, country or other gigging group or band playing music not radically outside your genre about opening for them.  There may also be "living room concert" private gig possibilities.  Goggle it.  You might also want to consider relocating to somewhere that has more opportunities than where you are.

Good luck!

Tyler,

^^^This is some great advice.

Also, I would recommend that you keep trying at the open mics. If there is a sign up sheet, get there early and make sure that you get a slot. This is a great place to meet musicians like yourself. A lot of times, the open mic venue will book you an opening gig or a full gig if they like your music. 

Put together a video of you playing 15 to 30 seconds of a variety of the songs you play. It might be as many as 20 songs. Open a Youtube acct and download the video on your channel. When you approach bar or restaurant owners, hand them a business card that has your Youtube channel listed, as well as your email addy. Emphasize to the owner to take a listen when he has the opportunity. Also, stop in and get the business card of every owner of a place you want to play. Then send him an email with a link to your Youtube video.

If you are good and are attractive (will make him money) to the bar owner, he/she will call you. (but follow up anyway)

• Like 1