Your Ad Could Be Here

Pitchlab Guitar Tuner Phone App

I was just messin with my  smart phone and found this guitar tuner app.

I was surprised how well it worked as it checked dead on with my regular chromatic tuner.

The thing that impressed me the most was that it even worked on my electrics without them being plugged in , with me resting the phone on my knee in front of the guitar.

I'm sure a lot of people already were aware of this app , but thought Id share with those who didn't . Kinda handy I thought.

Its also free .

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.symbolic.pitchlab&hl=en

• Editors

Being in the IT industry, I'm a lot into these kinda stuff. Tried all of these apps and found my most favorite to be Guitar Tuna. (though Pitchlab is great too!)

These apps sure are great. I usually keep the phone on the guitar so that the vibrations are properly read by the phone. That way it works great in noisy environments and with unplugged electric guitar.

There are a lot of apps out there which are pretty great. Hmmmm looks like I've got an idea for a Songstuff article /blog post.

• Editors

Inspired by Jorma Kaukonen and endorsed by Julian Bream.

Really? Nice.

I went ahead and downloaded the Guitar Tuna just out of curiosity.

I must admit that as far as the tuner itself , I prefer the PitchLab , just because of the tuner with the bar seems to suite my taste a little better , and its seems to acknowledge my unplugged electrics a little better .

But on the other hand , for someone who is still learning chords , the chord library on the Guitar Tuna would definitely be a big plus.

Both way cool IMO .

• Editors

Ah. Yeah. I used to use the tuner with the bar before.(Btw you should also check out Gstrings, no puns. That's the app that paved way for guitar tuner popularity on Android.) But my old phone back then used to wobble too much being sensitive to all sounds around. That's when I switched to reading based tuners such as Guitar Tuna. But I agree. Some people prefer something that others don't. As long as the app does the job the way you want it to, it's all good.

It's great how technology is helping make musicians' lives better. I only hope we don't get lost in the technology while looking for the music. *coughs*

Yes sir Rudi

If you open the link from the beginning of this topic , it gives a very detailed description of what the app will do .

From app description .

"Includes a database of common tunings for Guitar, Violin/Fiddle, Mandolin, Ukulele, Banjo, Bouzouki and Pedal Steel

Guitar, Standard

Guitar, Drop D
Guitar, Open D
Guitar, Open G
Guitar, Open A
Guitar, Lute
Guitar, Irish"

ETC.........

Some of the features Im stiil trying to figure out , but I just started messin with it the day I started this topic .

Open it up and check it out !!!!!

Edited by davidmichael

• Editors

Yup they can. :)

Open it up and check it out !!!!!

I'm not sure my phone is clever enough be able to use this.

If its any kind of smartphone it should be able to handle it.

Pretty much all it uses is the mic you talk into , and if I remember correctly it wasn't a very large download.

What phone do you have ?

I dont know what model. Its a Samsung. It cost £70 ($115) about 18 months ago. It is not touchscreeen.

Ive never used the internet on this or any phone, but there is an APP folder with radio, games and other stuff Ive never looked at.

I only traded up my £10 phone to get one that would link to my car.   

I'm not a gadget / tech person. But you can tell that right? ;)