Your Ad Could Be Here

Lookin For The Right Chord

I've been practicing for a new song.  Standard tuning, 1/2 step down so D#.........and capo on the second fret.

If everything were standard I would be playing D, A, G, and E7sus4(omit 5) ?  That last chord came from an online chord dictionary.  Third finger-second string-third fret (down from capo), second finger-third string-second fret down, first finger-fourth string-second fret down.  I don't play strings 5,6.

I don't know what that chord is, if it is one, but it's very close to what I want.  I can't say it's spot on but it is very close.  Thing is, the chorus repeats four times, that chord is only played four times, but it's the last chord of the chorus and hangs there for the 4 count. 

In standard tuning i would be strumming D_A_D_A_G_A_G_D for the verses then G_A_D_E7sus4(omit 5).

So i'm looking for that final chord and checking to see if what I said made any sense?  Thank you.

Tom

Thanks for getting back to me David.  Down to me is in the direction of the sound hole.  I guess that's up huh, to the higher freq.

My question is about this chord.  I'll play 4 chords in the chorus and it is this fourth chord i'm looking for.  Wht i'm playing without considering the capo is:  from the littlest string being 1 and biggest string being 6

first string open

third finger-second string-5th fret

second finger-third string-4th fret

first finger-4th string-4th fret

x5

x6

My question arrises from playing the first three chords and looking with my fingers to find the next one that would sound like I'm closing out the chorus, but by following my melody I could only get as close as the one I described.  It's so close that my ear hears it as good, but I don't know smack.

Tom

Edited by McnaughtonPark

In standard tuning i would be strumming D_A_D_A_G_A_G_D for the verses then G_A_D_E7sus4(omit 5).

Tom,

ok i just played this through in regular tuning and used your description of fingering for the final chord.

that chord is not E7sus4(omit 5).

It is F#7sus4-5

you mention a capo and drop tuning. perhaps you didnt allow for the key change for that chord when calling it E7sus4(omit 5)?

If I am understanding you right. Your open 1st string should be the identical note to the 2nd string at 5th fret. Is it?

I would guess that you may be playing A7sus4-5 instead and need a resolution to it. That would be an A chord (Then maybe a D to end).

or...

You may be playing D7sus4-5 instead. The resolution would be to follow with D chord.

Give it another try and confirm my question if needs be.

Rudi

Edited by Rudi
  • Like 1

Thank you Rudi, I think it is an Asus4.

Thank you David, I've posted the song below.

Ok.  I'm daft.  first I told you the wrong chord sequence.  IF the capo wasn't on the devil's harp at the second damn fret, AND the strings were not tuned 1/2 step down  (toward the devil) I would be playing in standard EADGBE.  So if those were true, my fingers would be in position to play the following.

D, A, G, D - verse

G, A, D, ? - chorus (when I play ? I move my first and second finger up one string each)

And it doesn't close out the chord sequence, it's more a set up for the D that starts the verse again

https://soundcloud.com/mcnaughtonpark/in-the-wind2

In the wind, the last line in the chorus, is the spot in question.  And after recording it, I think it sounds like it fits, but my ears may just want to hear it that way. 

Edited by McnaughtonPark

I've been working on it since you posted this.  I'm not having that good of luck.  Funny how something gets stuck in your head.  My thumb is argumentative about how far it can stretch and come back around for another chord, that one seems out of reach for me yet.

I've tried recording drums from the keyboard in it so I can keep the same timing and that doesn't seem to be going well either.  When I play and sing at the same time, I can't hear the drum count any more, it goes away in my brain and doesn't come back until I think about where I am and then the whole thing falls apart.  So I tried only strumming and I can't get through the song.  I can sing the whole thing through acapella (sp)

I'd like to record a simple piano chord progression for the background as well.  With the different tuning I don't know what chords i'm playing but Pat has given me a chord chart with capo positions so I can might figure that out.

Gotta run, but thank you so much

Tom